Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

update part properties from inside an assembly

karen_wagner223karen_wagner223 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
It would be very helpful to be able to update part properties inside an assembly by selecting the part in the side bar tree and right clicking with a properties selection.
This would be linked to the part studio. I spend a lot of time going back and forth especially at the end of the design when I am ready to go to production.
Sometimes I'm using parts others made but were never produced so the properties for the BOM are missing.

This ability would save time on my end.

Thanks!

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @karen_wagner223
    Don't forget to vote for your own IR!
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Part properties such as material, name, ..... can be updated in the BOM and is carried over to part studio while looking at list view.
    Nicer than opening individual part properties.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @karen_wagner223 Today the BOM offers this in a clean way to both inter document parts as well as parts in the same document.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    As a matter of fact, it works so well, I almost exclusively update properties from BOM.

A nice trick you should defiantly experiment with is to copy your BOM and paste into a spreadsheet. Make your edits or fill in a bunch of information using spreadsheet tools. Then copy/paste that back into the BOM.

Individually editing each BOM cell can be a little slow sometimes. The above trick will save a lot of time as it will treat the input as one big input rather than hundreds of separate inputs. But for a  dozen or so changes, i'd just type it in manually in the BOM.