Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Releasing Vendor Part "Kits" that are bought with a single Partnumber

florianflorian Member, OS Professional Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
Hi!

I'm looking for a bit of best practice when it comes to dealing with vendor parts that you buy as a single pnr from the vendor (And it show up in the BOM only once) but it is actually multiple parts in reality. One very simple example is a bulkhead with a nut:

We do release all vendor parts once to mark them as ready for reuse. In this case the only variable is the wall thickness of the panel. In other cases there are the end pieces of an energy chain, that you cannot pre-define at all. The following things trouble me:
  • To get a nice CAD model (with the right panel thickness) I would need 2 internal PNRs pointing each to the same vendor pnr, and excluding one of them in the BOM.
  • I could make a composite part and just use it with the wrong wall thickness
  • We could configure an assembly (and not release the single parts)
  • We could release a revision for each wall thickness that is ever needed (and make it an composite part or an assembly)

Comments

• Options
    NeilMMTNeilMMT Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Here is a good place to start: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/article/best-practices-for-managing-custom-libraries

The quickest approach is to use composite parts :)
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I'd leave it as an assembly but mark the parts as not revision managed and exclude from BOM, composite parts would only work if always fully fixed. I quite often have components like a linear actuator or hydraulic cylinder, required it to be flexible and this seems to work for this. If it's a standard vendor part I'd normally even mark the assembly as not revision managed.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977