Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Built-in documentation (markdown)

brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
Currently users need to divide their documentation between comments and uploaded files. Though the "File Upload" tab has its uses, it is a cumbersome when the files need to be regularly updated. The "Comments" feature, though super for collaboration, is better suited for small, specific notes than providing general context, design intention, etc.

In software, programmers regularly include documentation files written in Markdown. This lightweight form of notetaking can add an invaluable layer of context to their code. Onshape could enable a similar functionality via a "Documentation" tab. Users could create the tab and write their notes directly using Markdown. There would need to be a way to toggle between "Edit" mode and "Visualize" mode.

Would this be difficult to implement from the programming side? Would other folks find this useful?
Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I would love having some sort of markdown document. Maybe it could be built off of the featurescript studio? 

I think its worth making an improvement request that people can vote on. 
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Oops....I thought this *was* an improvement request! How do I do so properly?
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    No problem! I think the two sections of the forum are a little overlapping. Just create a post in this category here, then people can vote on it: https://forum.onshape.com/categories/improvement-voting
    Ah thanks. Looks like there is a request along these lines already (https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/30246#Comment_30246)....I will add a comment there.

If anyone else is interested, please add your vote & voice!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    A couple of ways exist today for this

You could create a new featurescript and use that as a notepad. Use commenting // Or /* */ To 'check off' things as they get done

Or go to the app store and add link tab.

That lets you directly link and edit a google doc
    It's true, there are workarounds, but none of them are particularly streamlined. Featurescript is a neat idea, but it would not incorporate the built-in formatting that Markdown has (headings, bullet/numbered lists, links, even latex-style formulas if it's a fancy markdown)....no good for professional documentation. Link tab has not worked well for us....primarily because it does not work with Firefox.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    i never tried in firefox..

I got an x-frame-options error, was able to bypass that with an extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ignore-x-frame-options-header/

but then it works, except there is the splash screen that is covering it up. @lougallo is that message coming from google or your app?
    You can see the sheet has loaded, and I can interact with the controls above the error message.