Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What is the easiest way to execute API commands?

timo_schmidtimo_schmid Member Posts: 36 EDU
Hi,
I would like to automatize some actions (reading certain information and then export it) using the API.
I have managed to achieve what I wanted, using the API Explorer. 
So what is the easiest way to execute a few API calls? I have previously used the API python client, but it was not very straight forward for me. As my task is relatively simple, I was wondering if it's possible to execute a few API calls from a simple script/command line?
Thanks for your help,
Timo
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Ethan_KEthan_K Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 57
    Hi Timo,
    For a small task, I think the Python client is ideal. I'm sorry your last experience with it proved difficult - we're always looking to improve it! Can you share both what you are hoping your script will do and the difficulties you had with it last time?
  • Options
    timo_schmidtimo_schmid Member Posts: 36 EDU
    Hi Ethan
    The new "custom Table" feature was released just at the right time for us, and I managed to do the required task using this feature.
    But thank you a lot for your offered help! I will try it again with the Python client if I need the API again.
    Cheers,
    Timo