Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Procedurally generated mates for variable cable chain length?

david_riedelldavid_riedell Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
So I designed this cable chain to be 3D printed for a diy CNC I'm building. I'm using a few assembly configuration variables to control the size of each of the chain links.

I'd like to use an integer configuration variable to determine how many links there are in my chain assembly. I can do that pretty easily with a linear pattern, but I want the links to be rotationally mated to each other with identical angular limits so that it functions properly. How can I tackle this without making each of these mates manually?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c6282c018f780bd775847628/w/3c437190b0b4b3f998082817/e/a9d7577fe7172d29eb348739?configuration=height=20.0;width=50.0

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,065 PRO
    here's an old thread about a similar issue. There are some clever workarounds that might do what you need, but I'm not sure: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/55168#Comment_55168
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,392
    There’s no quick way. Your best bet would be to assemble the maximum sized chain then suppress with configs. If this is just for this project though, that would be more hassle than it’s worth. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    david_riedelldavid_riedell Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses guys. It's too bad you can't easily clone one mate to another mate connector, that would make creating these by hand a lot easier.

I think I'll just insert the end pieces into my assembly and guesstimate how many individual links I'll need to print.