Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Too slow... any workaround?

sangseok_yoonsangseok_yoon Member Posts: 3
I'm working on a model cosist of several hundreds of features(?steps?).

anyway, it has become tooooooooo slow,

If I want to split a part, it would take like 10 minutes to complete.

Even if I derive this model from a new document, it still takes 10 minutes..

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Is it just one part or several in the Part Studio? If you have several hundred features that would explain the speed, especially if you are editing features early in the feature list. 

Can you share the URL?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited June 2020
    Right, You want to limit your partstudio to have as few parts and features as possible.

PartStudios need to read from the top of the tree to the bottom in sequential order.
    So if you make any change, the tree needs to be read again from that point to calculate a result.

PartStudio Tabs can be run in parallel (i believe) that means if you have 10 part studios it is like having 10 computers, each reading the feature tree of only their tab.
    But if you have everything jammed into 1 tab, then you will have to wait for a single computer to read the entire tree.

I think of it like a book.
    If one author wrote a book with only 1 chapter. Then they wanted to remove page 98. They would need to go through all of the pages after that point and make sure the story still makes sense. This would take forever each time they change anything in the book.

Instead, if you divide the book into  chapters, rip out that page from page 98, then hand the book off to 20 people, and tell each one to read a single chapter and check if they are referencing anything that happened on that deleted page. It would only take a few minutes.

It is easy in Onshape to write an entire design (book) in one partstudio. That is a rabbit hole that is easy to fall into.
    We should be trying to break down a model into smaller groups of adjacent parts (chapters), so we can take advantage of parallel processing to read the entire model in seconds, rather than minutes.