Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Length Unit and weight units default dependant on country of user

shane_steegersshane_steegers Member Posts: 1 EDU
It would be great if the Length and weight units default to metric if the country the user is located in is a metric country like Australia and a lot of the world. As a teacher when I setup student accounts I have to change the units for every student from feet and inchs to metric (millimeters) which is a real hassle. I know you can type mm to get metric. I have been an educator user for a few years, I think we give the country of the location of the user.  

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    You can set this in your settings for new documents.  Location is not always clear.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    edited June 2020
    More radically..as it's only the United States, Burma and Liberia who DON'T use the metric system, (and Burma is, apparently, taking steps to move to metric officially), set the default as metric...then only people from three countries have to curse as they start a drawing and have to change units....
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Agreed, metric should be default. 

Even though I use inch... Even for metric products  ;)