Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Referencing Custom Tables in an Expression?

Banana_ScienceBanana_Science Member Posts: 2
Custom tables produce useful data; can the cell values of a table be referenced as a variable in an expression? 

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,394
    No - tables are calculated after all features have regenerated by which time it's too late.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Banana_ScienceBanana_Science Member Posts: 2
    That's a pity. Because if there were a construct like table scripts it could be used to create global variables addressable in all part studios and assemblies of the document.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    @NeilCooke
    I haven't dug into custom tables yet. Is it similar enough that one could copy/paste most of the custom table code and make it into a custom feature instead to get around this?

@Banana_Science
    I've heard murmurs that Onshape is working on a real implementation for something like Global Variables 🤞. I'd use it a ton.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,394
    @Evan_Reese no, tables are completely different to features. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI