Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why the size limit?

tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in Using Onshape
I tried to model a particularly large thing and couldn't because the dimensions were above a threshold. There must be a reason for the threshold, but just wondering why? I can model a scaled version of the thing, but if I export into third-party software, I'll have to get creative to scale it back up to its true dimensions. Would be nice to avoid this unnecessary step :)

Comments

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @tony_soares459

Out of sheer curiosity, how big of an item were you trying to make?

What was the biggest dimension?

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    The limit is a Parasolid kernel limitation: 500 m in any direction from the origin, so 1,000 m is the longest dimension.

Earlier discussion here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4316/maximum-dimensions

Apparently, this size limitation affects all the CAD systems that use parasolid.

And then, the height cannot be above 500 m:

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @romeograham

Interesting. Thanks for the info 

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Parasolid is actually unitless, so theoretically we could allow the user to define their "base unit" as anything (km, nm, mile, in...), and then operate from 1e-8 to 1e3 of that unit.  Would take some concentrated development effort, but we have seen this request for very small electronic components.

Feel free to add/vote for related improvement requests.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    @Jake_Rosenfeld
    Thanks for that explanation - so the current limitation (1,000 m) is because it is 1e3 times the arbitrary (but very, very rational) selection of "m" as the base unit ?

I wonder if the "chip foundry", "architectural" or "city planner" versions of Onshape in the future could be built on different base units?
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Ah! I get it. So it's one of those practical if unfortunate constraints that dictate the size limit. It would be so nice if we could set the base units on our side (even if not immediately)! Either way, it's at least good to know where the limit is coming from :)
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Jake_Rosenfeld
    Thanks for that explanation - so the current limitation (1,000 m) is because it is 1e3 times the arbitrary (but very, very rational) selection of "m" as the base unit ?

I wonder if the "chip foundry", "architectural" or "city planner" versions of Onshape in the future could be built on different base units?
    What about an "Apollo mission" version :)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    Part of the challenge with any NURBS based CAD system is that with the exception of simple geometric shapes, there aren't convenient closed-form parametric mathematical solutions to the intersection of arbitrary surfaces/solids. So all systems, whether they're based on Parasolid, ACIS, Granite, etc. use some sort of error band around the piecewise approximated solution for these intersections to determine when the solver is done. In Creo (Pro/E) this was the "accuracy" setting. It was related to the ratio between the largest dimension and the smallest feature. If the number was too small, the solver would take forever to finish. If the number was too large, the intersections would have strange errors which don't make sense. All systems need to manage this error budget, whether the user is involved or not. I strongly suspect that the 1000 unit size limit in Parasolid is related to this sort of "accuracy" setting.