Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cannot select in a sketch

AnotherOnshapeUserAnotherOnshapeUser Member Posts: 28 PRO
I have a sketch. No layers, no other sketches in the part studio. Cannot select any interior area. Cannot extrude. What do I do?

Comments

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @AnotherOnshapeUser
    Is interior area shaded? If it is not - sketch is open and does not form an interior area. Can you make a simple sketch (rectangle or circle) and extrude that? 
  • AnotherOnshapeUserAnotherOnshapeUser Member Posts: 28 PRO
    Thanks for responding so fast!
    No. I tried that. I even made a new part studio and copied my drawing into it and started again, and it worked for a while and then stopped, no shading. draw a circle, no shading
    I paste the drawing into another part studio sketch, and poof! that sketch will not shade a circle. Undo the paste and it does. Something in the drawing messes it up.

There were 173 separate lines in the sketch. I took out a sketched filet and a few lines next to it and now I can select. Shame it took so long, and the fix appears quite arbitrary.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    If you make tour document "public" and post a link here someone will probably help you out with specific advice.  See details here:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9107/forum-post-checklist-read-this-first#latest

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Sounds like it was an imported DXF? Notoriously bad at keeping corners connected. You can segment the sketch to see where it is shading and hone in on where the gaps are, like this: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/59027#Comment_59027
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    You could file a support issue and share your document with support, if you can't / don't want to make your document public. See if you can achieve the same result with  several sketches. Complex sketches are difficult to work with.