Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Better way to enter length formulae in Dimension input box?

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
Hi folks! Hope everyone is still keeping safe. Question that's been bugging me of late as I work with variables and expressions driving sketching dimensions.

Take a look at the attached screenshot. Picture says it all. It's getting pretty hard to type these things when I only have a 20-character window to do it in.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• marcus_bernsteinmarcus_bernstein Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 EDU
    Sometimes I'll create long variable names then shorter (think acronym) variable names equal to the longer named variables. Isn't pretty and probably inefficient in several ways, but beats mashing the arrow through several layers of variable names going to one dimension. Sometimes I make a new variable that holds some of the calculations then I do more calculations with the new variable in the dimension, but that's just spreading the problem across more limited character windows. 
    Any chance Onshape is looking for interns?

Philadelphia User Group Leader
  • tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭

One of the work arounds is to copy it into notepad, work on the equation there, then paste back into Onshape
    The horror.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    never said it was pretty...  :/