Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to remove/ join faces on a single part?

michael_stallsmichael_stalls Member Posts: 59 PRO
Hi im not sure if this has been addressed before (if so please delete or move thread). Below is a plan form view of a wing i have created by by lofting  between two airfoils of the same chord (length) and then lofting with guide lines to create the curved tip. Is there any way to to remove the vertical line between the constant chord part of the wing and the tip as it doesn't in fact represent any real feature? thanks
Michael

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Konstantin i have voted for it too! 
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @michael_stalls

Just for a little bit on insight on this, internally to our system there must be an edge at the border of any two surfaces that do not have the same mathematical surface definition.  Other CAD systems choose not to represent these "smooth" edges to the user, but for now we have chosen to display them (and maintain the separation of those two faces as smooth but distinct faces).

As always, thanks for the IR and the vote!  Even though this is how it is now, doesn't mean we couldn't treat it differently in the future if we hear the same opinion from many users.  Hopefully this clears things up a bit, at least for your mental model of why it is there.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should notice those IR is not for hiding smooth edges representation. It is for creating spline surface, which incorporates common math definition for a number of faces (with some tolerance of cource)

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Thanks for the extra info @konstantin_shiriazdanov
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    @michael_stalls

Just for a little bit on insight on this, internally to our system there must be an edge at the border of any two surfaces that do not have the same mathematical surface definition.  Other CAD systems choose not to represent these "smooth" edges to the user, but for now we have chosen to display them (and maintain the separation of those two faces as smooth but distinct faces).

As always, thanks for the IR and the vote!  Even though this is how it is now, doesn't mean we couldn't treat it differently in the future if we hear the same opinion from many users.  Hopefully this clears things up a bit, at least for your mental model of why it is there.
    Thanks for the reply. I understand this and it IS useful to have these points/edges  too. Maybe what I'm really after is a way to select and hide certain edges. (Either in the model or drawing) There is a global option to hide edges. I dont know if this is difficult or not. Maybe i should put in a improvement request 
    Thanks Michael
  • Options
    lynn_yarbroughlynn_yarbrough Member Posts: 3
    I would appreciate having an option to display or hide these edges. Thanks.
  • Options
    NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited July 2020

• Options
    NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    @michael_stalls

Just for a little bit on insight on this, internally to our system there must be an edge at the border of any two surfaces that do not have the same mathematical surface definition.
    What type of surfaces are these? If not NURBS then what?

Also, how do I formally link open surfaces into a single part? I can only do it now by creating a closed body then deleting the construction I used to artificially close it.