Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Please please please stop this lazy, stupid practice

Nickolas_LockardNickolas_Lockard OS Professional Posts: 36 ✭✭

Comments

• Nickolas_LockardNickolas_Lockard OS Professional Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Garbage practice. We should shame anyone lazy enough to design w/o context. I really don't understand why people do this hideous practice. Did you not play with legos as a kid? Are you drunk? Insanely maddening. I hate your style.
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    Is this an import from a downloaded file?
  • Nickolas_LockardNickolas_Lockard OS Professional Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Yes, I just found it at grabcad. Just drives me nuts when I run across design files all sloppy like this. It's not like it saves any time really on their part. Just venting--I even see people selling 'professional' cad models on sites like this. So basically, I gotta pay to redesign their sloppy work. :thumbs down:
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    @Nickolas_Lockard thanks for venting 🙂

if you import using the default settings, Onshape will create the correct assembly structure but place all the parts in one Part Studio around the origin. Try importing “into one Part Studio” and the parts will appear in the correct locations. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    edited July 2020
    AFAIK it's not sloppiness, it's STEP :wink: I've used this model here: https://grabcad.com/library/45-ft-high-cube-container-1
    See my model here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2650ac5b3c2a8b0d194008e8/v/83759564b51731d4b978ff15/e/dc11d58ee233d1581805e105

When importing from a STEP-file, you have three options, for this one I am choosing the default:

The assembly looks good:

but the Part Studio looks a bit weird...:

That's a feature- and not the fault of the person who made the model. With this you can still modify single parts within the Part Studio- without disturbing the location and placement of the other parts in the assembly. Depending on the export settings of the original file, you might also get all parts being mushed together on the same origin. In the end, it's because of how STEP-files work, and of the multi-body Part Studio.

Edit: while I was busy preparing this post @NeilCooke wrote the much shorter and better answer. I apologise.

NeilCooke said:
    @Nickolas_Lockard thanks for venting 🙂

if you import using the default settings, Onshape will create the correct assembly structure but place all the parts in one Part Studio around the origin. Try importing “into one Part Studio” and the parts will appear in the correct locations. 
    Ahh, so that's how to get around that.. :smiley: I didn't know that either!
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/66927036190d3ca846356844/v/f351d439f67caad63e1d18e9/e/2831553e9326bf50be1a9b57
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @NeilCooke
    Is there any way to separate all the parts into separate part studios and have it create the assembly?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    It isn't that the partstudio is weird, it is the fact Onshape crams all parts into a single partstudio. Every part is modeled on the origin as it was in the original part file.