Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I create an angle cut out of a cylinder? (sort of like a needle)

zach_morriszach_morris Member Posts: 10
I’m brand new to Onshape. I’ve used 2D animation apps before, and have gone through a few tutorials to make pretty basic shapes. 

I’m curious how I would make the device below. It’s a hallowed out cylinder that needs an angled slice (sort of like a needle), and has an arm protruding out of it at an angle.

I started by my making a 2d version of the “Top View” and bottom view and extruded it out, but I couldn’t figure out how to modify that in any way to resemble the shape of the side view. I included a snapshot of my failed attempt below.

thanks! 

Best Answer

Answers

• KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    - extrude the biggest profile up to Plane 1 (instead of Distance) and select New instead of Add in the Extrude panel
    - make new Plane with Offset 10 from Plane 1
    - split that new part with Plane 2
    - remove bottom element after split (you have 2 elements now: 1 between planes and one under plane 2)
    - make new Extrude of biggest circle up to Plane 2 (use Add and select Part 1 as context)
    - join Part1 and Part2
  • zach_morriszach_morris Member Posts: 10
    @Krz I’ll have to look at an onshape dictionary to understand your answer. haha but in theory I think I understand what you’re saying. between your answer and @steve_shubin ’s answer I think I’ll be able to step through the history and learn out to make the shape myself.

@steve_shubin I just realized you finished my part for me. You sir, are a true friend of Narnia. I’m going to follow the history and see if I can learn how to do what you did.
    @steve_shubin I think I figured out how you made the main shape.  I was able to duplicate it using the settings below. This was exactly what I was looking for so thanks again for taking the time to help out!

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @zach_morris

Glad to hear it helped.

Originally I tried 10 mm on the offset, but it looked too thick compared to what you sketched in your notes. So that’s why I made the offset 7 mm. But yeah you got it figured out 

To get the so-called chamfer, I tried using the chamfer tool, draft angle, sweep. But nothing gave the results I believe you were looking for. So I used loft. It took 9 steps in the features list to accomplish this so called ‘loft’. If somebody knows a more economical way to do it, let me know. It hasn’t come to my mind yet

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @zach_morris

TYPO CORRECTION 

It took 9 steps in the features list to accomplish this so called ‘CHAMFER’

Yeah that was a pretty rough sketch. Don’t get me wrong, your version looks sexier, I just don’t know the structural integrity of PLA. haha I plan on getting my ender 3 capable of printing more durable filaments, but we’ll see how PLA holds up. I won’t get my printer until late september so it’ll be awhile before I’m printing anything.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    I won’t get my printer until late september so it’ll be awhile before I’m printing anything.
    Must be a Prusa FDM printer that you ordered in April/May <g>.  If my experience is typical, plan on buying a spare heater cartridge and thermistor now.  A spare build plate or two wouldn't be a bad idea either.  The plates seem to last just fine, but availability is spotty.  FWIW, Prusa PC blend filament seems to be pretty sturdy but you need to use a glue stick with it to avoid permanently sticking the filament to the plate.  I bought a spare plate to use just with the PC blend as it is a minor PITA to clean.
    I actually got the ender 3 v2. Got a few upgrades, including all metal dual drive extruder, new bowden tubing, and better bed leveling springs, and some hardened nozzles. I’ll probably get the direct drive if I end up printing printing a lot with nylon, abs, wood, etc. Figure I’ll just mess around with PLA while I learn the printer though. 
    I won’t get my printer until late september so it’ll be awhile before I’m printing anything.
    Must be a Prusa FDM printer that you ordered in April/May <g>.  If my experience is typical, plan on buying a spare heater cartridge and thermistor now.  A spare build plate or two wouldn't be a bad idea either.  The plates seem to last just fine, but availability is spotty.  FWIW, Prusa PC blend filament seems to be pretty sturdy but you need to use a glue stick with it to avoid permanently sticking the filament to the plate.  I bought a spare plate to use just with the PC blend as it is a minor PITA to clean.