Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape session timed out

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
edited June 2015 in Product Feedback
Why do sessions timeout so fast? 

I would often need some sketch open with dimensions whole day while doing other things and occasionally checking some dimension.

If there must be timeouts, it should get back to exactly same screen / state which was open before timeout. Current behavior easily leads to unfinished sketches hanging around because of timeouts.

Anyone else annoyed by greyed out screen with timeout while working on another screen or searching for information to proceed with sketch or so..?
//rami

Comments

• _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • 3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    +1
  • Stuart_TodStuart_Tod Member Posts: 56 PRO
    +1
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    Currently we timeout a modeling session after an hour of inactivity.  We set this as an arbitrary time to start.  We realize that this is not a one size fits all situation so what timeout length would work best for your most common workflows?  I will see about writing up something to capture the location and state you are currently in. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    1 hour is fine with me, I just wanted it to capture where I left off.

Thanks
    Dave
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would like 4 hours, it would make max 2 refresh during a day.. This would also support my intension to use onshape as view only mode to inform employees what they are currently doing..
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 hours if there was enduring capture (in other words, if the model could undergo view manipulations indefinitely, until a new feature was attempted), 3 hours if there was not such capture.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I wen't this through with support and the reason for ending sessions is that they need cuts in sessions for pushing updates in between, so they don't wan't situation where users can be 'always-on' and that way hang onto old version.
    For getting back to where you were (say into sketch edit), currently there is no place for that data to be stored.

So I'll lower my request to 120 minutes to survive over usual meetings or lunch hour. And hope they will come up with some solution to capture the left off point as the time goes.
    //rami
  • david_stevens068david_stevens068 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    My session keeps timing out WHILE I AM ACTIVELY DOING SOMETHING!!!  I will be drawing a sketch, and I will suddenly get the grey screen of death.  Umm... that just don't seem right...  Any help?
  • RyanAveryRyanAvery Member Posts: 93 EDU
    How do I disable the timeout? 
  • janos_horvathjanos_horvath Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    @lougallo

I'd prefer to be able to disable timeout.
    It's also OK if one could set according his/her own preference.
    Do you see any chance that it will be implemented anytime soon?
    Thank you :smile:

• john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Hi @janos_horvath. The idle timeout allows us to manage the consumption of resources on our servers and provide for a more secure environment for our customers. We currently do not have plans to modify the idle timeout.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • janos_horvathjanos_horvath Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hi @john_rousseau,

I see. I thought it was only for security reasons and since I'm using it for hobby purposes at  home I'm not that afraid of loosing my "intelectual property". :smiley: 

But it makes sense to spare server resources on your side!

Edit:
    Do you think that it makes sense that once the Onshape tab is avtivated by the user, the application is refreshed automatically? I mean if the user saves his/her login information in the browser the intention is to login fast without any check anyway. And if the user has doubts he/she wouldn't let the browser remember login datas so when it is refreshed automatically, the login procedure should be done anyway.

This is not a good idea I think.