Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creative ideas to join up these two parts?

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
Hi! It's been a while - hope everyone is keeping well. I'm looking to broaden my knowledge / options, so wacky ideas are more than welcomed here! I have these two parts and I would like to build a connecting piece to be merged with them. I'm looking for a nice, organic, fluid shape without too many hard angles (for easier 3D printing AND for aesthetics!)

My go-top here would be a loft, possibly with some kind of guide to get a bit of an "S" into the connector (or "stem" as I think of it) shape.

Anything else come to mind, perhaps using Surface Modeling?

Best Answer

Answers

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    It's kind of tough to suggest something without knowing what it's for and what you like, and without seeing the part studio. Do they have to stay in this relative orientation? can the geometry of the blue part change to allow for a better blend? your loft with a path sounds promising.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    It's kind of tough to suggest something without knowing what it's for and what you like, and without seeing the part studio. Do they have to stay in this relative orientation? can the geometry of the blue part change to allow for a better blend? your loft with a path sounds promising.
    Hi Evan, thanks for responding. You're absolutely right, I'm just throwing stuff out here without a ton of context. The offset is real (and is part of the design challenge here). The loft worked amazingly well but I'm very curious to understand appropriate application of Surface Modeling techniques for organic part generation and was hoping that someone might show how that toolset could be used.

Totally open to minor modifications of the "interface" geometry.

The loft approach worked remarkably well, even without any guides at all. All it took was to make a "face" on the top of the bottom part so I could use the solid modeling variant of the loft feature. Still really curious about other approaches.
  • tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    This also seems like a cool application for a generative design tool, though the results might not be ideal for 3d printing or your desired aesthetic

Oh yeah _ I love it! Do you have any generative tools in mind that you would consider in this application / workflow? I've been really excited about nTopology but it's too expensive for my hobbyist budget....
  • marcus_bernsteinmarcus_bernstein Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 EDU
    tom_auger said:
    This also seems like a cool application for a generative design tool, though the results might not be ideal for 3d printing or your desired aesthetic

Oh yeah _ I love it! Do you have any generative tools in mind that you would consider in this application / workflow? I've been really excited about nTopology but it's too expensive for my hobbyist budget....
    I haven't personally used any generative design tools in-depth. That said, Paramatters did an awesome presentation at an LA Onshape User group meeting this past Summer that showed great potential. They do charge but I suspect there is a free trial or some sort. Either way, their rates are competitive, though probably less than ideal for a personal project. Good luck! Keep us posted
    Any chance Onshape is looking for interns?

Philadelphia User Group Leader