Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Split and recombine surface?

tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
Oh boy, I'm trying something a little different. Trying to create this "ruff" like surface where the inner part is actually a loft created from two differently-sized circles, making it impossible to create the shape I want using a simple extrude or even a draft. I was hoping to be able to somehow intersect the "ruff" surface with this lofted surface and then recombine, but can't for the life of me figure out what tool(s) would make this possible.

A screenshot is worth 1000 bad descriptions, so here's a screenshot. Any advice (or follow-up questions in case I haven't explained myself) is welcomed and appreciated!

The grey surface is the loft. The "ruff" surface is blue. Similarly to the way the outside is connected only every other edge, I want to do the same on the inside.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    tom_augertom_auger Member Posts: 115 ✭✭

Whenever working with patterns or parts with symmetry, try to produce only one feature and pattern that feature afterwards. In this example, you could probably get away with just a single tooth that is patterned after all features have been created. 

John thank you so much for the lightning-fast response, as well as the most excellent advice.

Indeed, patterning has proved to be the solution here, but if I had started with that in mind as you suggested, I might have approached it even more efficiently.

In the end, I re-lofted into a solid and used boolean subtract first. Then I was able to loft two edges to "join" them and then repeated that feature in a circular pattern! Brilliant!

Thank you so much.
  • Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 236
    @tom_auger

Happy to hear it worked out for you.  Keep the good stuff coming.