Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Growth in Education Accounts Recentely,

mckeegan_curranmckeegan_curran Member Posts: 6 EDU
While I started messing around with OnShape earlier in the year due to not having a PC at home and thus not able to use AutoCAD away from school I found OnShape as an alternative that worked on my Chromebook. My along with many others has swapped over to this for the time being so I was wondering if there was a noticeable growth in new members around this time mainly with education accounts, if there's any reading this it'd be nice to see you chime in on thoughts and for the admin/staff I'm curious if you've seen this.

Comments

• dave_cdave_c Onshape Employees Posts: 42
    Yes there has been very sizable growth in EDU accounts and EDU usage in the last month.   Our EDU usage has grown steadily since the EDU plan was introduced years ago, and there has been a very noticeable spike in the last month that is still rising.   We are not planning to give specific numbers.  We at Onshape and PTC are happy that we can provide some options to students and educators at this difficult time. If anyone knows of students or educators that need help, please consider directing them to the Onshape EDU plan.  Most people reading this know the Onshape EDU plan free and new users can create and account and be CADDing in less than a minute.  Thanks for your interest!
  • mckeegan_curranmckeegan_curran Member Posts: 6 EDU
    dave_c said:
    Yes there has been very sizable growth in EDU accounts and EDU usage in the last month.   Our EDU usage has grown steadily since the EDU plan was introduced years ago, and there has been a very noticeable spike in the last month that is still rising.   We are not planning to give specific numbers.  We at Onshape and PTC are happy that we can provide some options to students and educators at this difficult time. If anyone knows of students or educators that need help, please consider directing them to the Onshape EDU plan.  Most people reading this know the Onshape EDU plan free and new users can create and account and be CADDing in less than a minute.  Thanks for your interest!
                Thanks for the reply, I figured exact numbers wouldn't be available but glad to hear there was a spike, this took a bit of learning for me after learning on AutoCAD the past three years but it's definitely a really good tool to work from home with even for hobbyists. While I mainly do laser-cut work other than for class assignments that require full 3d design I've been amazed at what others are doing using something cloud based like this.
  • michael_rinaldi487michael_rinaldi487 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    How do you reinstall your educational account?  Exactly a year out the account is changed to another type of account that doesn't allow you to edit the work you did.  This happens each year and there doesn't seem to be a standard way to reinstate your account.  I have been working with teachers using onshape and I am sure when they come back to school this year they will find that they cannot access their files.  We all appreciate the opportunity to have such a powerful tool at our disposal and we use this with our high school students.  It would be helpful to provide a warning as to when the account will be changed and a path to keep this wonderful tool working.  Help - I need to finish my school work! 
  • mckeegan_curranmckeegan_curran Member Posts: 6 EDU
    How do you reinstall your educational account?  Exactly a year out the account is changed to another type of account that doesn't allow you to edit the work you did.  This happens each year and there doesn't seem to be a standard way to reinstate your account.  I have been working with teachers using onshape and I am sure when they come back to school this year they will find that they cannot access their files.  We all appreciate the opportunity to have such a powerful tool at our disposal and we use this with our high school students.  It would be helpful to provide a warning as to when the account will be changed and a path to keep this wonderful tool working.  Help - I need to finish my school work! 
    Hi there, I found you need to re "Sign up" if you do that your old work will still  be saved and link to your old account
  • Domenico_DDomenico_D Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 59 PRO
    edited August 2020
    @michael_rinaldi487
    Like @mckeegan_curran said, you can use the free education plan form to "Sign up" for an account. Just make sure to sign up with the same email you are already using for your Onshape account. This way it will upgrade your account back to the education plan and it will be like nothing has changed.

You also should have gotten an email when your education plan expired. The email has a link that you can click to renew your education plan. Either way works!