Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Open source design collaboration?

SammyOneSammyOne Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Is there a way to create a file/folder/project that can be contributed to by multiple individuals. Sorta like GitHub where I can clone a project, make changes to my copy, and then request a merge request. Once the merge is approved, a new version of the project is available to the public. This way many people can work on different parts of the project, collaborate and create something for the public. Open-source parametric design sort of speak. The free tier, of course, since it's visible to the world(that's the main idea: to be open!)

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    interesting idea. I don't think there's quite a way to get everything you describe. You could make a document public, but that still won't let people edit it. They could copy the document, but then you couldn't merge it back. You'd want to work in one document and share permissions with individual users, and they'd have to create their own branch to work in. You also can't force a merge request process that I'm aware of. People could merge at any time. If someone merged and it wasn't approved you could restore the document to before the merge. 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl