Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why do Students need to provide a phone number?

mettbroetchenmettbroetchen Member Posts: 1 EDU
This is what OnShape states on their website: 

"your students will never be sent marketing content and they do not need to provide their phone numbers"

Source: https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/how-to-set-up-your-onshape-classroom-2019

I signed up as a teacher and had to provide a phone number during the registration which is fine by me. To avoid any surprises when introducing OnShape to my students I also signed up as a student. During the registration process, I did not have to provide a phone number but when I clicked on the activation link which came with the email I suddenly had to. I tried to activate the account by just enter the password but the phone number is required.

I really do not want my students (who are just at the age of 13/14) to give out their phone numbers.

So.. how are they gonna sign up/activate their accounts without a phone number?

(I'm from Germany, btw, if that matters)

Comments

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi mettbroetchen,

Our intention was for students not have to enter a phone number to sign up.  We currently have a chicken/egg issue where we don't know that users are students until after they sign up causing the signup flow to not work the way we intended.  It is something we are aiming to have fixed soon.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Domenico_DDomenico_D Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 59 PRO
    @mettbroetchen

Until it is fixed, students can put a fake phone number like 555-555-5555 in and their account will be created without an issue.
  • Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    I usually tell my students to put the college phone number. 
  • aiden_zhengaiden_zheng Member Posts: 4
    @mettbroetchen

Until it is fixed, students can put a fake phone number like 555-555-5555 in and their account will be created without an issue.
    Is 555-555-5555 a phone number that is actually not in use? I searched and apparently only 555-0100 to 555-0199 is fake. The rest apparently are reserved for use.