Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing a file from my Google Drive? Since Onshape runs on Chrome...

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
Hello! Since Onshape runs on Chrome, I would like to import a file from my Google Drive! Other than the obvious download to local computer then import into Onshape, be slick to have a "drag-n-drop" or at least have the option to search my Drive!

Cheers!
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    This is possible if the machine you are on is where you have Google drive installed.  I just did this with an .igs file from my Google Drive.  Are you talking about using a different computer than where you have Google Drive installed?  
  • Options
    @juan_aviles This would be from a "shared" or "public" computer (or two).
  • Options
    After I started answering your question, I figured that's what you were talking about.  

Actually that would be a nice feature...Google Drive (or even Dropbox, SugarSync, etc.) access from inside OnShape would be handy.
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @christopher_owens We do have a few requests for uploads from cloud storage services.  I can add you to them.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    lougallo said:
    @christopher_owens We do have a few requests for uploads from cloud storage services.  I can add you to them.
    Please do.  I'm usually on my main PC with easy access to my Google drive,  but being able to work on my laptop (with it's older and smaller harddrive) would be a big plus.
  • Options
    I asked this because before Onshape I was using a shared Google Drive to collaborate with my colleague (in another state) instead of attaching files to email. He uses SolidWorks and not on Onshape (yet!) and I have been using him to test the Import/Export and STL creation. If he could upload ZIP files to the shared Google Drive and I could pull them directly into Onshape that would be handy. Also with Onshape Mobile this could be useful...maybe?
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    lougallo said:
    Please do.  I'm usually on my main PC with easy access to my Google drive,  but being able to work on my laptop (with it's older and smaller harddrive) would be a big plus.
    Not to mention mobile devices..

Check out this thread, lot's of good ideas:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/259/uploading-files-and-file-formats

//rami
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 26 PRO
    lougallo said:
    Lou any update on this feature request? We use Google Drive to share customer supplied CAD models with our customers and it would be very nice to be able to import these directly without the need to download the file. When I am in the office I use my main Mac desktop and when I am on the road or at customer sites I use my MacBook so it would be nice to be able to bring them in directly from google drive.  Also use another computer for our 3D printer which is shared so we don't use the desktop drive app on that one
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @Matthew  If you really need to upload without download from google drive you can do it on the iOS app but I can only get single files to work. I would also like to be able to link directly to Goggle Drive or Dropbox without downloading.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977