Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rolled back part studios affecting assemblies

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO

Is anyone here loving the fact that rolling back a part studio also rolls it back in an assembly? I've never found it useful, and often found it problematic. Do other people have workflows where this is important?

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO

I find that often I'll work in a Part Studio (in one tab) and monitor the changes of the part in an Assembly (in another tab). This is common if I don't want to use in-context...and it gives a quick way to see how the part interacts with the assembly. This is MUCH faster than in-context or referencing Versions or Revisions in assemblies.

Particularly with Part Studios with long feature Lists or regen times, this can be handy.

Although, I do occasionally miss Solidworks's "Suspend Automatic Rebuild" toggle in assemblies (maybe that's where you're going with the question) to prevent this behaviour.

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU

@Evan_Reese

I really do not like it not showing up in the assembly. I have often wondered why my assembly isn't working, and it is because one of the part studios is rolled back. Another thing is that this can accidentally happen across versions, since versions store the rollback bar, requiring a new version.

mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO

@Evan_Reese won't moving the part studio to an external document, separate from the assembly, address the issue? Then the assembly is referencing a specific version of the part studio.

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO

@matthew_stacy What you're suggesting would work, but, for my workflow at least, would eliminate one hurdle and replace it with another. It's not usually a huge deal, but, for me, it's never been a useful feature, and has only gotten in my way. Since the implementation of everything in Onshape is always so thoughtful, I was just curious about why it was that way, and whether the reason was usability, or some technical backend reason.

If I understand the workflow, this could still be done even if the rollback bar didn't affect the assembly, right? Might even be better, since you see the final result.

Thinking about it now, I suppose it is how it is for performance reasons. Onshape shouldn't have to rebuild the whole model when the bar is rolled back. I often roll back past heavy features so I can work faster. Working on a team, it makes it tough to collaborate even on basic stuff without branching to give each person their own space to work. Again, not a huge deal, but definitely not easy for new users to wrap their heads around.

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO

You're right @Evan_Reese . Don't forget that when you roll back the Part Studio Feature List - you may have errors in the features after the one you're working on. This might be totally fine - you are changing things, after all. Some changes require refactoring / fixing of features that fail or generate errors. If Onshape had to always fully rebuild a Part Studio that might have errors as a result of your mucking about....it's a lot of extra overhead, and may not actually show you what you want / need in the assembly. Also, how would Onshape know when to do this automatic background rebuild? When you have the Assembly open in another tab? When someone else does?

That's why the SolidWorks toggle "Suspend Automatic Rebuild" is handy - in Onshape it would temporarily behave as if you were referencing a Version of the part...and let you mess with your Features without affecting the Assembly.

Personally, I think the current setup is the most consistent with Onshape's general principles...I think we're looking for a "temporary Version" feature or something. ...

Or maybe, we could have the result of clicking the "Final" button when editing a feature show in the Assembly...would that get us part of the way?

@romeograham yeah, something like a "final" button in the assembly could help, even if there were downstream errors (which is also true of the "final" button in features, and is still super handy). I'm sure there are tons of ways to implement something that scratches this itch. I think i'd even just prefer for the assembly to only rebuild once the rollback bar is all the war forward or something, and otherwise not update. It's interesting to me that versions capture the rollback bar position, but you can still move the rollback bar around when viewing a version.