Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Philadelphia Onshape User Group meeting tomorrow - Surfacing

richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
Surfacing expert Vince Haley joins the Philadelphia Onshape User Group tomorrow at 6:00pm eastern.  It's all online and open to all.

Direct registration link - https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZErf-yvpzkjGtS8DvOAQQC-uZ407Islp1LD

Richard

Comments

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    I have learned new skills and productivity tips at every OS user group meeting that I have attended, and this one certainly did not disappoint.  Thanks Vince!  Your expert insight into surface modeling was incredibly helpful for me.

Using Delete-Face and Enclose to dance back and forth between solids and surfaces was eye-opening.  I was inspired to explore Conics (in the Arc tools) after your presentation.  More curvature control than a circular arc, but more structured (and without the concavity control concerns) than a spline curve.  Splitting a surface with a swept pipe to initiate a constant-width (variable radius) fillet is a trick I won't forget. 

But I have to ask, are local/regional user groups still relevant when using cloud-native software with truly global reach?  Onshape (with a little help from Zoom) is truly revolutionary, and downright visionary in the context of a pandemic.  It would almost make more sense to differentiate these gatherings by topic-of-interest, language, and/or time zone.
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    edited October 2020
    Those sound like some great tips @matthew_stacy ...I wasn't able to attend, but would really like to watch the recorded session, if possible.

@richard_doyle Can you post here if / when it's uploaded?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @VHaley_SkillCoach, thank you so much for the surface modeling presentation yesterday.  I have a very simple question about the fruit cup model, that actually has nothing to do with surfacing. 

The Seal-profile and V-Notch-bottom-profile sketches are both on horizontal planes.  Presumably one of these sketches is on the top plane.  What is the second sketch anchored to?  I don't see a mate connector or additional plane in the feature tree.  What am I missing?
  • Options
    richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
    @romeograham We have been recording all of the meetings, but as of now I don't have a place to post them.  We are working on it.  In the meantime, Vince will be presenting again next Tuesday for the Detroit group - https://www.onshape.com/en/user-group-network/detroit

@matthew_stacy Your thoughts on the virtual groups are welcome and very much appreciated.  We have been talking about about changing things up a little given that we are still dealing with the pandemic. I suspect that the virtual meetings will go on for some time.

Once it is safe to do so, I will look forward to meeting in person again. Maybe we'll end up with a combination of live and virtual events, but there are advantages to meeting people in person. It's hard to have those important  "side conversations" during breaks, you can't exchange business cards in a Zoom meeting, and I believe the live meetings offer a better atmosphere for robust discussion.

Not to mention that "breaking bread" (usually covered in sauce and cheese) is historically one way that human beings form meaningful connections :smile: .

I would love to hear more thoughts on the user groups from everyone.

Richard