Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

OBJ file export

Brad_GoodmanBrad_Goodman Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
Is there any way to export an obj (Wavefront?) file for 3d printing? I've Googled it like crazy - can't seem to figure it out, or find any Apps that can do it, though this would seem like a VERY obvious desire. Am I missing something??
Tagged:

Comments

• Paul_J_PremakumarPaul_J_Premakumar Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 197

We currently do not support exporting to the OBJ format. STL export is supported, if that is of any help.

Paul
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And there are plenty of resources online for converting from STL to OBJ. Are you 3D printing in multiple colors or editing in some other program that requires OBJ? If not, I don't see the benefit of OBJ vs STL. 
  • Ryan_McClellandRyan_McClelland Member Posts: 26 PRO
    For 3D printing you want STL. Right now I am really wishing for OnShape to export OBJs to use with Gravity Sketch, which is becoming an important part of my workflow. I have to go through Creo to export OBJs.
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Brad_Goodman and @Ryan_McClelland, it looks like you got your wish. According to the latest improvements, OBJ export is now supported.
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 475 PRO
    Ha!  Right you are @mahir.
  • Brad_GoodmanBrad_Goodman Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Yay! Finally happened! Though it does seem problematic...

Anyone having problems with this? Some slicer (Prusaslicer/Slic3r) having:

1. Scale/Sizes are wrong
    2. Files are very large - i.e. larger than the "fine" STLs.
    3. Getting invalid geometry (non-manifold part) errors from slicer (from more complex objects)

I can't verify if these are actually a slicer on on Onshape exporter issues.
    (Update: A friend of mine just reported same issues with Cura slicer, too).
  • Ryan_McClellandRyan_McClelland Member Posts: 26 PRO
    edited November 2020
    Yes, the OBJ export has some issues. Importing into Gravity Sketch, assembly models come apart surface-by-surface, not part-by-part like Creo exports. Even marginally complex models would not import at all. I guess we should submit support tickets.
  • Ornella_TortoriciOrnella_Tortorici Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Seems that I also have a scale issue with the exported .obj