Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape, we are here for you!

MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
Someone has to tell you this for your best interest, we are here for you Onshape! 

The new logo and color is NOT good. The white and blue is very clean, modern, and inviting. While green, dark blue, and white are very out of date looking and not clean, simple or inviting. 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

Comments

• HakroHakro Member Posts: 67 ✭✭✭
    That is true, unfriendly colors.
  • ryan_mcgoldrick47ryan_mcgoldrick47 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    New logo/branding is not pleasant. very 2000's.. 
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    Well said @alnis_smidchens. That is a more elegant way to say it.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Darkmode confirmed?  B)
  • michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Just noticed the change on the homepage and I am not a fan. I think the original branding looks modern and much better. It gave the appearance of modern software in an industry full of old programs.

I also prefer the blue color over the new green. I never cared for that green when I was using other PTC products in the past and I dont care for it now. My wife took one look and called it an ugly color lol

Has anyone made an improvement request to reject the change? I'll put my vote on it. I enjoy using Onshape and hope for it to remain the thoroughly modern CAD program I've come to love both in function and form!
  • matthew_vilimmatthew_vilim Member Posts: 12 EDU
    Weird that they would rebrand the landing page but everything else is the same for now. I hope when they release the rest of their "improvements", it doesn't ruin the user interface...
  • ryan_mcgoldrick47ryan_mcgoldrick47 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    It has changed again, although better than green and black, the PTC inspired logo really is not pleasant, its sharp and geometric vs what is soft throughout the rest of the branding. just feels unpolished, and agree with the sentiment here that Onshape had it right the first time, id rather live with the subtext : a subsidiary of PTC group for instance. I suppose probably Onshape people feel similar.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Does the dark background for the logo mean that Onshape is getting a dark mode?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @MBartlett21

I wouldn't read that much into the dark background, dark mode is likely a ways off.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    edited November 2020
    Only got 5 hours of sleep last night. Fortunately it has been changed back to a more approachable and modern look.

Sigh... Thank you. I will be able to sleep tonight.   ;)

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Hmm.. The symbolism of the large green box surrounding the small white box with onshape written in the same color; looks to me like big brother ptc has little Onshape trapped. 

I know this isn't the case, but that was what I see. 

So does this mean we won't be wrong if we forget to capitalize the O in Onshape now? 😉 
    I'm curios to see what PTC has in store for the future of Onshape. PTC has some neat augmented reality modeling projects in their portfolio of products.

On a similar note, I will be switching from pc to Apple glasses whenever Apple releases them. My assumption is that most people will not be using a pc for too much longer once those are released. Unlike phones and tablets, the glasses will have a faster user interface than the keyboard and mouse.

I would like Onshape to be the modeling platform that everyone uses with Apple glasses. 

• Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 198 EDU
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I only saw the change briefly while distracted teaching a class and then when I went back to check it out it have vanished. Was beginning to think I was going mad! 
    edited December 2020
    New update. The white background is much better!

Onshape no longer has the strong marketing stance that the original Onshape branding had. The Onshape logo is not "Onshape". Now it is a complex hexagon. 

Small changes can mess things up. I'm not sure why PTC would want to destroy the perfect system. 

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
     I'm not sure why PTC would want to destroy the perfect system. 
    Branding is definitely subjective, so I don't see how you can call any branding perfect. 

Why would PTC want to change it? There's definitely value in having a common design elements between different products in a portfolio. It can signal to potential customers that onshape really is a part of the PTC product portfolio, is backed by the resources of PTC, and is not just a startup with all the uncertainties that can come with that. 
    edited December 2020
    True, PTC probably has very good intentions with all of this. My comment came across more negative than I meant it to be.
     I'm not sure why PTC would want to destroy the perfect system. 
    Branding is definitely subjective, so I don't see how you can call any branding perfect. 

Why would PTC want to change it? There's definitely value in having a common design elements between different products in a portfolio. It can signal to potential customers that onshape really is a part of the PTC product portfolio, is backed by the resources of PTC, and is not just a startup with all the uncertainties that can come with that. 

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    For those who have not had the "aha!" moment yet, the new logo is a cube nested inside another cube :) 
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

@bryan_lagrange

Awesome!
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure there is some talented artist out there that can make the transition for you.  :D
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• karen_wagner223karen_wagner223 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Not a fan of the new logo. It looks outdated as if it was done 20+yrs ago. I thought the previous one was such a clean modern design. I still enjoy using OnShape but wonder why this change was made.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2020
    Branding requirements from PTC. They own Onshape of course they will want the logo to fit their brand. 

Maybe This matches the scheme better?

edited December 2020
    Simple and elegant. Perhaps a slim grey offset hexagon that outlines the green hexagon.

We got this PTC ;) . Think of all the money you could save by letting your fans do the work!
    Throwing this out there as a possible middle ground. I am by no means a graphic designer, just wanted to put this out there. 

No matter the look going forward, I'll still be using Onshape.

• tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Exactly what I would have said if I could say it so well.
    I'm alienated by the new logo.
    The original was down to earth and friendly. It was the logo equivalent of shorts and a tee---practical, relaxed, not uptight.
    The replacement is crisp and professional but it has no personality. It's a generic suit and a tie. It's cold and distant. It's like a skyscraper, built to impress, not to welcome.
    And it seems dated. This is the sort of logo I'd expect of companies built in the 80s and 90s and stuck in the 80s and 90s---somehow embarrassed by the fact they're ultimately just people and obsessed with masking that "peopleness" with... crisp, precise, robotic machineness?
    I don't know, but a casual laid-back logo speaks to me in ways a crisp business-like nondescript logo never could---to the extent that logos can speak to me, anyway.
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I feel strongly that PTC should preserve and build on the original Onshape brand---not replace it with a PTC equivalent. All that will accomplish is alienate the original Onshape crowd and stoke fears of what else is to come from the corporates above---no doubt looking at dollar bottom lines and quite possibly missing the culture around Onshape along with everything else they can't quantify.
    It's OK to have different products and different teams and different subcultures and different styles, PTC. All things shouldn't look the same just because they're under a common corporate umbrella. Let your teams carry on with their own original personalities instead of dressing them all up to look and behave like PTC is what I'm saying...
    If we really wanted PTC out of Onshape, we probably would have just gone with PTC in the first place ;-)