Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing Dxf into sketches never seems to work correctly

ryan_mcgoldrick47ryan_mcgoldrick47 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
Maybe I am using the wrong settings but cant find any resources that help.

Whenever I try to import a DXF from illustrator It always imports in red and has missing lines or imports strangely and usually I cannot get it to scale either.

Sometimes I will go and add anchor points then use the simplify path convert to straight lines workflow but by the time there are enough points on the paths to create "Seemingly" curved lines from straight lines onshape at the point usually really struggles to import and work with the artwork.

This is a fairly crucial workflow to be able to use and it never has seemed to work well for me.

In solidworks I never really had any issues but onshapes DXF handling seems to be lacking or I am I missing something?

I don't like having to convert to straight lines then add anchor points, its heavy and also not using the same artwork lines that were originally created.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    For instance I have now been waiting for 10 minutes for a dxf to load into a sketch that used the convert to straight lines workflow and still have a spinning blue wheel.
  • Options
    I think I will have to for now just use solidworks to handle any DXF's, convert to surfaces > Export as .step > Import .step to onshape.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,371
    Can you share the DXF or Onshape doc here? If not, please open a support ticket. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Thanks Neil. I opened a support ticket or someone did for me and Pete responded. But yes it is indeed a limitation of onshape that it does not support curves in DXF files. so for now I still need to use solidworks to handle DXF files then bring in surfaces generated in solidworks to onshape. the work arounds Pete suggested are just no viable.