Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Convert assembly directly to part studio

crazymachinefancrazymachinefan Member Posts: 1
I have a drivetrain that I have in assembly form, perfectly aligned and put together, that I need in single part form in a part studio so it is editable (as in cuts and adding things) and not as laggy. The only way I have found is to project it to a part studio and rebuild it from scratch, which could take hours. Is there any way to do this? So far the closest I have gotten is exporting as .stl and importing it, but that makes a mesh.

Answers

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 235
    @crazymachinefan

Is this drivetrain a model that was imported from another CAD system? Is it possible to share your project with us?

If it's an imported model, you can choose to import the assembly into a single part studio as a composite part. This will combine all the components into one single part that you can modify afterwards. 

Hope this helps!

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Or from your assembly create a part studio in context, transform copy in place all the parts, then Boolean them together.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • sylvain_cornelussylvain_cornelus Member Posts: 3 EDU
    I've had this exact desire.  What I've been doing is exporting and re-importing the assembly which then makes it one part.

@John_P_Desilets can you elaborate how to import the assembly as a composite part? I don't see that as an option in the insert window.
  • bruno_verachtenbruno_verachten Member Posts: 17
    I'm also interested in that.
    Thanks.
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    If you figure out how to manage a large STL file that brings only mesh let me know. I have a dandy to work with from a hand scanner. Looks like a melting snowman. Trying to clean up and make a solid or surfaces in Rino.
    BTW Solidworks said too big to open.
    Mean time try using Parasolid format to export and import. As noted above, Assembly can be brought in as a composite in a part studio. Behaves as one part that can be modified.

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    Or from your assembly create a part studio in context, transform copy in place all the parts, then Boolean them together.
    I had this same question, did a google search, and came across your answer. It worked great. Thanks, 1 year later:)

• niklas_mulsow008niklas_mulsow008 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, 

.. and two years later I have to dig out this post. I miss this feature also. I used in other CAD, save assembly as part often while generation simpler models for kinematic exports. Would be nice to have also this function in onshape. Ex and import is unfortunatly some extra work. 

Best
    Niklas 
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    Hi, 

.. and two years later I have to dig out this post. I miss this feature also. I used in other CAD, save assembly as part often while generation simpler models for kinematic exports. Would be nice to have also this function in onshape. Ex and import is unfortunatly some extra work. 

Best
    Niklas 
    The functionality is already there. Look at post #3 in this thread from owen_sparks. It’s easy just takes a couple minutes. 
  • neil_brennanneil_brennan Member Posts: 5
    How do you "create a part studio in context"???? I get that it probably solves the problem, but have no idea how to go about it.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    How do you "create a part studio in context"???? I get that it probably solves the problem, but have no idea how to go about it.
    Load your assembly with all the parts required and in the positions you want and click the icon shown here (create Part Studio in context).  Once you have your new in context part studio do a translate copy all parts in position which will be shown transparent. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • niklas_mulsow008niklas_mulsow008 Member Posts: 4
    thank you very much.