Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problem with the dimensioning

nocry3nocry3 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
Hello,

i have drawn a sloping roof with 200 x 230 mm (see picture 1). If I want to dimension the roof (see picture 2) other values are shown.
Why is that? How can I get the correct dimensions in the drawing?

Best regards
Ralf

Comments

• Options
    nocry3nocry3 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Is my question too easy or too difficult to get an answer?

I have searched the Internet and Onshape forum and have not found an answer for the problem
  • Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Hello @ralf

Given the first picture I would assume that your model geometry is correct and the incorrect dimensions are a result of how it is dimensioned on the drawing sheet.

The top view on your drawing is dimensioning the roof as its tilted down and away from you (see the double line at the top). You instead need to create an 'Auxiliary view' so you can measure from a view normal to the roof slope. 

In the isometric view in the top right the dimensions are taken from the flat projection on the sheet vs. measuring the line in 3D space. It is measuring the line as it sees it projected onto the 2D drawing sheet and therefore those dimensions should be removed. Unfortunately, you wont be able to pull those dimensions from a view like that. If you really need to show those dimensions there you can modify and override the original dimension value and manually enter your own number. Just be aware this wont automatically update after a future update and will need to be manually measured and modified.

Thanks, Michael