Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New to parametrics: how do I make a basic cube controlled by one dimensional value?

russ_taberruss_taber Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
Made a centerpoint rectangle. set a side dimension to 50mm. added an equal constraint to a perpendicular side. 
Now I want it to extrude to the set 50mm dimension. If I change the dimension, the cube will scale equally.

I must be overthinking it. Best practices? 

Best Answers

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited June 2015 Answer ✓
    Best practice would be to use equations to establish the relationship. Equations functionality is not released yet. Until then, you have to use a hack.

While I wouldn't typically use a hack for production work, it can help you get more familiar with how things (currently) work. Points for the most creative one....

Answers

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited June 2015 Answer ✓
    Best practice would be to use equations to establish the relationship. Equations functionality is not released yet. Until then, you have to use a hack.

While I wouldn't typically use a hack for production work, it can help you get more familiar with how things (currently) work. Points for the most creative one....
  • russ_taberruss_taber Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Cool. Glad to hear it. Did try using the new copy and paste sketch command add a constraint but to no avail. Equations make much more sense.
    Neat. That works. How did you link the constraints?
    The horizontal line from the origin in the first sketch is projected ('use' tool) to the second sketch.
    Sorry, not following how your project (Use) perpendicular sketches. Can your rotate sketches?
    That makes more sense. Thank you.
    Thanks Jake. Very nice. Starting to get the hang of things. Really liking the power of parametrics.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice solution, @jakeramsley  !
    @jakeramsley Nice!
  • navnav Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭
    Great solution @jakeramsley
    Nicolas Ariza V.
    Indaer -- Aircraft Lifecycle Solutions