Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Pro tip: How to restore a deleted tab after you have made changes without losing work

Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
Ever accidentally delete a tab only to realize it is gone much later? Simply restoring before the delete will undo a lot of work. To keep your work and get that deleted tab back, you need to cherry-pick that delete action out of history.

https://youtu.be/9fX_mtd4BQk

As a recap, cherry-picking is done by:
  • Create a version of the change that you want to remove. For deleted tabs, this is creating a version after they are deleted.
  • Create a branch from the new version.
  • Restore the new branch to the moment right before the version was created (across branches). Now it is as if that moment never happened, and your tab should be in the branch.
  • Merge the branch to Main.
Support & QA

Comments

• Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Thank you @Jason_S!!
    @billy2 this would probably be a relevant pro tip for the next Users Group. Consider adding to the learning center @bradley_sauln.

Thinking may be relevant for @Evan_Reese @john_mcclary etc, if you were not already aware. Tag a friend... happy Friday.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yea had to do this a handful of times :blush:
    Good to see it written down to spread the word 
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Woah, nice one! Never have needed this specifically, but opens up an interesting versioning branching thing I need to explore.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Aaron_MagninAaron_Magnin Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 114
    This is GREAT! Thanks Jason!
  • john_hauckjohn_hauck Member Posts: 52 PRO
    Maybe you should make the video 15 minutes long and ramble on so it looks as hard as I thought it was going to be. It's kind of like seeing a magic trick reveled - somehow disappointingly simple. Seriously though, thank you!
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    This doesn't quite work if you have made changes to drawings.

To do that, there is an extra step:

Merge from Main into your branch after restoring, but before merging back into Main.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually there is an easier option...

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    @emagdalenaC2i
    Your process works for tab that does not have any references in the workspace, e.g drawing.  Copy/paste will create a tab with different id.  If the accidentally deleted tab was a part studio referenced by an assembly or a drawing, then merging revert of the deletion ( as Jason shown) is the only way to fix your workspace.