Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Onshape User Groups Topics

bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
I come to the largest gathering of Onshape Users, The Onshape Forum, to pose a question....

What would you like to see at an upcoming Onshape User Group meeting?????

Topics could range from:

@john_mcclary animation demonstration,
- @Evan_Reese or @MBartlett21 feature script demo
- Vince Haley surfacing demonstration
- @cody_armstrong, @NeilCooke, @Lindsay_Early, @pete_yodis, @Roy_Mutalik, etc technical demonstration on a key/ new Onshape feature 
- How is Onshape being used in the classroom 
- A real world use/case study using Onshape 
- Stump the best session featuring @alnis_smidchens
- Experience from long time CAD users @brucebartlett, @matthew_stacy, @billy2,
- @richard_doyle tiny house update :)
- Sneak peak at what's new with @lougallo
- What's happening in the APP store with @Aaron_Magnin   
- Hear from the top Jon Hirschtick, John McEleney

What times work best for you?

Ideas, topics, and times will help the User Group leaders set up a meeting that will cater to you the Onshape User.

We want to hear from you, the Onshape User (Pro, Edu, Free) what do you want to see?

Thank you

Bryan Lagrange

Bryan Lagrange
Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

Comments

• Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    edited December 2020
    I'd like to hear about:
    • successful workflows for sharing Onshape data directly with customers / vendors etc (other than exporting / email / share PDFs and STEP). I imagine a successful strategy would require: behaviour change by stakeholders & link sharing permission changes (i.e. links restricted to specific tabs).
    • (this one's impossible I know, but) Some visibility from or a discussion with Onshape around some of the required improvements for Release Management. Several folks have written extensively on the tremendous amount of work it takes to release and manage (& export for sharing) a large number of drawings, parts & assemblies. The current "1 at a time" export workflow is really an incredible waste of time, especially with a small team without cheaper resources (junior / interns etc) to help with this type of work. @brucebartlett shouldn't spend all day saving PDFs and STEP files!
    • Further to your FeatureScript idea: a quick demo of building a FeatureScript live from scratch. Something that shows several common types of activities (import bodies/ parts, make selections, add new features to exsiting geometry, create geometry etc). 
  • Options
    Thank you @romeograham

I too would love to see a live Feature Script creation from scratch.

Keep them coming guys.

Bryan Lagrange

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    @romeograham I like your second bullet point. Yea, I doubt they can say much about future updates. But I'd love to know what they are doing for bulk releases. (step export, pdf export, release ) in particular 
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    @MBartlett21 is so much more skilled at FS than me as to be playing an entirely different game, but I'm qualified to show people how to fumble their way to something that works, which could actually still be pretty handy. It could make a good beginner class, and I'd enjoy doing it.

What I'd be excited to attend:
    • Anything Featurescript. Intermediate skills would be ideal, but anything would be good. I'd love to hear from some of the pros like @ilya_baran, @kevin_o_toole_1, or @Jake_Rosenfeld. And of course, @MBartlett21 and @konstantin_shiriazdanov come to mind too.
    • Anything from @alnis_smidchens or @john_mcclary.  I don't care what topic. General Onshape wizardry is fine.
    • Anybody who can tour us through a finished project (they were actually remunerated for), warts and all. It's kind of a vulnerable topic, but could be so helpful to see how other people work. I could ask some past clients if they mind and if not would be happy to kick this off.
    • guided discussion. I've attended a number of groups where I'd have loved to hear more from some of the attendees, but I think people are hesitant to speak up and derail the agenda, which is polite. It could be interesting to find a way to host and moderate a group discussion around a few topics. It could be a complete train wreck or solid gold, but I can't tell which. Probably gold.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Go house Ravenclaw!   ;)
  • Options
    Thank you for the list @Evan_Reese.

Keep them coming!
    Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Aaron_MagninAaron_Magnin Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 114
    Thanks for putting this together and including me with some legendary folk in the community! Hope someone takes you up on the app store preview. Pretty please? Anyone? Haha
  • Options
    If there is any Onshape user that would like to present at a User Group Meeting please let us know what you would like to present and a group leader will contact you. Since the meetings are virtual, you could present at any User Group meeting.

Bryan Lagrange

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    I'd be happy to do one. some topics could be:
    1. The basic FeatureScript skills every professional should have.
    2. How Fractal set up our Stock Hardware Library (we keep a limited set of things always in stock and have built a system with Onshape to make them easy to use).
    3. a tour of a model I've done for a client and discussion around strategy, what worked, and what I'd do different (pending the client's permission)
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    Thank you @Evan_Reese
    Bryan Lagrange