Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Help to repair part - boolen and chamfer

Hi
I have made a simple part, which can be found in the enclosed link. Part made on sketch, surface, extrude and thicken. Now I cannot merge all the underlying parts to one part and use chamfer. Can anyone support this and explain how to solve this? Another question is it possible to merge two lines, two faces?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b863d139f95a6d598eb8ffd5/w/853d89c7559cd7ad682f52a9/e/5f2260af6d2ce99ae83a8996

Best Answer

Answers

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 233
    Hello @karsten_hjort_gregersen. Thank you for sharing. 

You can use the boolean feature to unite parts together if merging parts does not work. 

Onshape Document

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/69d7b4b2ecf4fcb7e418f7cf/w/d971bb81a88fac417041ced9/e/4bbfdbbd7fc4a6fc6b2b228a

The chamfer used on this feature was larger than the thickness of the part. You will need to insert a smaller value. 

Let us know how you make out!

• karsten_hjort_gregersenkarsten_hjort_gregersen Member Posts: 11
    Hi John. Thank you for taking your time to support me, it is appreciated. However when I try to boolean, it turns up with this message. Boolean resulted in no geometry change. The parts either do not intersect or are totally contained. Maybe it is due to, that use the free browser version.
     Can you take a screen shot of what you selected and the error message? Free user accounts are not restricted for what solid features can be used, I think there is something else wrong with the selection. 
    Okay thanks, will do
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    I used add to the last thicken and it came out ok.

@glen_dewsbury 's way is the better workflow. In your image, it looks like you only selected a few of the parts. You need to select parts that are connected in order for the boolean to work. You can highlight all the parts in the graphics area at one time, or select them all from the parts list. 
  • PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Actually I should have checked the merge with all check box. That saves making any selection of parts in this instance. 
    Answer ✓
    Hi both
    Thanks for your support - all good now, appreciated.