Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Complex Split Sphere Modeling

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to create a model of the image below and wanted to get suggestions for the best strategy to recreate it.

I have tried a few different strategies but haven't really come up with anything to successfully recreate the geometry.

Would it be better to start with a sphere and then cut it up or create a single path and pattern 16 times?

I would be grateful for any suggestions!

Happy Designing,

-Kevin

Comments

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited December 2020
    It looks like there are some revealed edges along each slice.

I would model a single part, slightly rotate that part to show off those edges, then circular pattern that part 16 times.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    I would probably do something like this:
    Ornament | Part Studio 1 (onshape.com)

Create a sphere
    Create a surface to split the sphere into each curvy slice using a spline sketch
    Split the face of the wedge horizontally
    thicken the faces
    offset the sides to give the gaps on the edges
    boolean union your sphere back to one part, shell to thickness
    pattern your decoractions