Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Apple Macbook Air 2020

BogdanBogdan Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Since all the physical stores are now closed, with few exceptions, I am not able to run the OnShape system check, on the laptop that I'm intresed to buy.
Is there anybody willing to post here a print screen of the system check page on the newly lanuched Apple Macbook Air 2020?
Thanks.

Comments

• mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    @Bogdan It should run Onshape fine for small assemblies.  The Macbook Air does not have a professional level graphics chipset like the Macbook Pro does.  But it will work.
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • BogdanBogdan Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Thank you for your reply @mlaflecheCAD. I have a desktop, with an Intel Xeon CPU and Nvidia Quadro P620 graphics card. I noticed that this configuration is more than enough for my needs and for the small assemblies that, not very often, I design. I could compromise some of the processing power, for the mobility and other advantages, that a Macbook Air would provide.
    The OnShape performace check on a desktop with an Intel UHD 620 GPU resulted in scores of 110/50 million triangles/lines per second. If the Intel Iris Plus, in the latest macbooks, is able to match that, I would be happy with it.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I'm sure you will hit those numbers no problem. 

That looks about what I have seen on a bunch of low end chromebooks and macbooks when in best buy. 

Anything with integrated graphics will not be much better than what you have already. 

If performance is a concern. Even a low end descrete card should be at least 8 to 10 times better than the best intel integrated graphics
  • alexander_kozhanovalexander_kozhanov Member Posts: 1 EDU
    Bogdan said:
    Since all the physical stores are now closed, with few exceptions, I am not able to run the OnShape system check, on the laptop that I'm intresed to buy.
    Is there anybody willing to post here a print screen of the system check page on the newly lanuched Apple Macbook Air 2020?
    Thanks.
    I just ran compatibility check on 2020 MacBook Air with M1 processor and 16Gb ram, its impressively fast...
    Have no problems working with quite complex assemblies so far.
    Measured triangles per second  819.8 million+
    Measured lines per second. 185.2 million
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I'd go with the Pro, and even then only for small assemblies.
    I like a MacBook as much as the next person, but things get sloooow when your assembly gets large.
    I use a Razer Blade with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 GPU for modeling... It's technically a gamer's laptop... and even then I find myself tapping my fingers waiting... waiting... more often than I'd like.
    I'd use a MacBook if my Razer Blade broke (and it has), but I'd probably find a small model to work on... You can do without a decent dedicated GPU, but you can also bike from Boston to NY, and... well, would you :D
    I'm not singling out Onshape---this goes for any type of 3D modeling... Things can take a very, very long time without a good GPU...
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I'd recommend you buy one. It's fast. Just do it. You'll like it.

• eugene_brawneugene_brawn Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Bogdan said:
    Thank you for your reply @mlaflecheCAD. I have a desktop, with an Intel Xeon CPU and Nvidia Quadro P620 graphics card. I noticed that this configuration is more than enough for my needs and for the small assemblies that, not very often, I design. I could compromise some of the processing power, for the mobility and other advantages, that a Macbook Air would provide.
    The OnShape performace check on a desktop with an Intel UHD 620 GPU resulted in scores of 110/50 million triangles/lines per second. If the Intel Iris Plus, in the latest macbooks, is able to match that, I would be happy with it.

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    @eugene_brawn The latest MacBooks no longer have Intel processors or Intel Iris graphics. It's custom Apple silicon. It scores very well according to this thread:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/68086/#Comment_68086

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • tony_459tony_459 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Those numbers are so so so much better than anything I ever saw on my MacBook Pro.
    Measured triangles per second is almost competitive with what I get on my modeling laptop (with powerful NVIDIA GPU).
    Huge difference between triangles and lines, though. The two numbers aren't usually this far apart...
    Triangles jumped much much higher than lines, and I have to wonder which of the jumps better reflects the improvement in performance---triangles or lines...

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited December 2020
    I like mine. The battery life is amazing.

M1=fast & efficient

I'd buy another one.