Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is it possible to change the drill points on a hole to a flat bottom hole instead of pointed?

greg_brckagreg_brcka Member Posts: 3 EDU
I want to have a tapped hole but it be flat bottomed.  I don't see that option.

Best Answer

Answers

• greg_brckagreg_brcka Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Thank you.  It is part of a change order for an assignment I give in IED.  I can adapt it for now.  I appreciate you getting back to me.
  • sam_parsonssam_parsons Member Posts: 43 PRO
    PeteYodis, Any movement on this? Would be great to have the option of a flat bottom hole in the hole feature. Cheers
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    edited December 2020
    Here's a workaround that could be ok for what you need. It doesn't help you in drawings though, and I agree, this should be part of the native tool.
    1. delete face tool, set to Cap
    2. open the create selection dialogue, leave the default options of "face" and "protrusion"
    3. pick "select patterns" and click "Add selection"

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a workaround that could be ok for what you need. It doesn't help you in drawings though, and I agree, this should be part of the native tool.
    2. open the create selection dialogue, leave the default options of "face" and "protrusion"
    Funny, I came here to post exactly this (minus fancy video). 
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @mahir

you probably sleep  :)
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    mahir said:
    Funny, I came here to post exactly this (minus fancy video). 
    Great minds...
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • robert_fosterrobert_foster Member Posts: 1
    This worked fine on thick material but I noticed on thinner solids that the drill point punched through essentially creating another hole with a much narrower diameter such that the delete face & cap approach failed.  I ended up going back and doing something that I avoid which is to extrude a circle.  Another forum post from 2016 addressed the problem and the issue remains in 2021.  
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 109 PRO
    +1

+ This also needs a variable, such as a  135 deg drill point for hard material and 60 degree for plastics.

+ Adding a 90 degree lead in chamfer is an abolute must for form taps. OTW: the threads bulge out proud of the top surface. I currently do this in cam as that is when I remember.

+ Threads should always default to course, or to company's preference.