Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Hole locations using Sketch points made with Sketch Linear array - not completely created.

james_closejames_close Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
Hi, 

I created a sketch with a circle.  I used the Sketch Linear array (2 x 5 instances) to come up with the spacing of the circles as needed.
I exited the Sketch, then created Holes using the Sketch  ( selected the Sketch itself, not by plying around the vertices).

The Hole function successfully included the original Circle plus the first instance in each direction, but none of the balance of vertices.

I could Linear array the Holes using the same dimensions, but I thought this would work.

Comments ?

Thank you, Jim 

Comments

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Selecting a sketch for the hole feature doesn't select the midpoints of circles by default. Explicitly add a point to the center of the hole you're patterning and include that explicit point in the pattern, and then it should work as you expect it to. My understanding is that this is so that if you make a bolt circle, it won't include the center point of that circle (which is not what you want usually).
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Good point on the Bolt circle ( but I would have used a construction circle to avoid it's use).
    I could use points in the original sketch instead of circles.  I like the circle for the visual near edges (I could use a construction circle).

The Hole tool did use the center point of the original circle and the first instance in each direction, so I ASSumed the balance of circles would be included.  Seems inconsistent, if not a bug.
    Thanks, Jim
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Happy to help! I bet there was another point that made the first circle have a hole (like a line end point or the origin projected or something similar). What I often do is pattern both the manual point and the circle so that I can dimension a distance from the edge for the pattern length/spacing, like this:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b836edad1a64232a8209a130/v/eef5971badca4e6743f1f9f1/e/0d9a92757873a24766f4ffd5

Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Yep, you are correct.  There are points generated with the array. Good observation !
    Works for me.