Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Indicate which Features belong to which Part

john_kuyperjohn_kuyper Member Posts: 28 EDU
edited December 2020 in Using Onshape
As my Part Studio grows (or I try to work in someone else's file), it becomes difficult to quickly modify something.  I have to sort through a very long list of features.  
I might have 30 parts and 90 features listed.  I only need to modify one parameter in one part.  I end up spending a lot of time clicking through the features to find what I'm looking for.
It would be great to simply highlight any feature that involves a part when selected.
For example, I may need to modify the diameter of a widget.  I could click on the widget (either in the part list or the graphic screen) and the three fetures used to define the widget would highlight or indicate somehow.
This should be a relatively simple modification to the GUI that would save the users hours of work.
Tagged:

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    If you type 
    :part <name of part>

You will get a filtered list.

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @john_kuyper
    Besides the filter/search that @lougallo points out, the interface does some of that now.  when you select a face the features involved are highlighted. Although selecting the part does not which is your point.  You may want to put in an Improvement Request to the right.

@lougallo
    I am aware of the Filter with simple terms as shown below.  So :part part 1 works.  However, what are you showing with the extra characters (&lt;  &gt; ) ? And do you have a link to help on that?

www.accuratepattern.com
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    I think Lou was using a common programming notation; `:part <name of part>` i.e. `:part wheel` but the "code" formatting tool messed it up.

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    thanks @brian_brady that must be it
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Right click on the feature you want to change and you see a menu, with the involved sketch etc.
  • john_kuyperjohn_kuyper Member Posts: 28 EDU
    Thanks for the input. 
    I guess that when I click on a part in the part list, I expect any feature involved in directly creating that part would highlight.  When right clicking on the part in the graphics screen, I see the list of sketches and that's cool.  But I don't see a similar list of features; only the first feature.  I guess it would be cool to have the features listed out in the same manor as the sketches.