Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Image position in sketch

geoff_joseygeoff_josey Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
Ref. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ae426aaf249e40e719bfc40b/w/78508a78d8c944c0df112152/e/bf31d3e59da40225bf41e54e

I have imported an image of various hull sections which I am now tracing using spline. Section 612 is the one I  am working on. I am trying to align the centreline on the image with the  sketch vertical and want to move the traced spline with it.  I have tried many options in transform without much success  I wonder if there is a better way to get the image in the correct position when I import it.
Tagged:

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    edited January 2021
    @geoff_josey

A few tips that may help with inserting/aligning images.
    1) Before importing, crop the image at known points (length, on center).  Then first thing on insert is you can dimension the rectangle to that dimension.
    2) If possible it would best to rotate the image to be 'true' before inserting.
    3) On image inserts, there are 'hidden' constraints of perpendicular and a set width to length ratio.  There is also an automatic horizontal that can be removed. Once the horizontal constraint is removed, fix one corner and rotation can be established by dragging another corner. If you have the length or width dimensioned it will hold the size.
    4)  Once the size and rotation are done, that should be easy to remove any constraints and shift the image into position.
    5) as a side note - try to make the splines with only 2 - 3 control points.  The handles give very good control of the shape and use 'Show curvature' for smoothing curves.

Here is a forum thread with more suggestions for working with images.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • geoff_joseygeoff_josey Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Bruce - many thanks for the tips. Very useful.