Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sub Assembly not Updating

christopher_quijanochristopher_quijano OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
Hello, I hope someone can help me understand what is happening in my model.

I have created a sub assembly (1) with three parts and mated them together with one part's position fixed.

I inserted this assembly into another top level assembly (2) and fixed its position.

I went back to sub assembly (1) and suppressed a mate and then moved the block part around. When I went back to the top level assembly (2) , the part did not move. 

I inserted another copy of sub assembly (1) and the parts imported in the new position.

I am sure I am missing something very simple, but can someone explain why the sub assemblies do not update after they get inserted?

Here is the link
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/267e38e71e7ec8813d1249e1/w/a5d001ae4d3ff0da3d68bcef/e/eb06d6bbd8607771ce456237

Thanks,
Christopher

Comments

• bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    edited January 2021
    Just moving something around in a sub-assembly does not translate over to a top-level assembly. You have to use a mate of some sort to define that position because that is what gets processed at the assembly you have it inserted into. The second assembly shows this because that is the current position it existed in.

Relative positioning does not influence an upper-level assembly. The mate suppression did carry over to the upper-level assembly so now in that upper level you can move it around.

Fixing also does not carry to a higher level assembly. This is a more traditional CAD way of doing things.

It looks like you will want to use a Group in the sub-assembly to get the desired result you want. You need something to enforce that behavior such as a Mate or Group.

This will help you: https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/fundamentals-onshape-assemblies/working-with-an-assembly/assembly-structure
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln