Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Measurement in Onshape

lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
Onshape has a very subtle measure feature built right in the lower right corner that will display measure details based on the current selection(s).

- Edges:
line - length
circle - diameter, perimeter
arc - radius, length
- Faces:
Planar face (1): area
Planar face (2): minimum distance
Cylindrical face (1): area
Cylindrical face (2): min distance between

In Part Studios behavior is straight forward, however measuring in Assemblies is a bit tricky at the moment. Currently the default selection in Assemblies is the entire part so to select measurement entities (faces, edges, points) use Select Other to select these entities. Once you select them, measure results will display in the lower right corner. We are improving this workflow and will update this post once it is live on cad.onshape.com. See below..

Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    **UPDATE** You no longer need to use Select other in the current build!
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • mike_mcgrathmike_mcgrath Member Posts: 2
    How do you change the precision of the values displayed by the measurement tool?  Right now mine only give 2 decimal places....
  • stg434stg434 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    There is a support ticket open for this...
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Request:
    When hovering a sketch element, use a button to change selection if hovering covers multiple elements. I find select other in RMB a bit slow and un-handy way to select if needed a lot.
    //rami
  • frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    3dcad said:
    Request:
    When hovering a sketch element, use a button to change selection if hovering covers multiple elements. I find select other in RMB a bit slow and un-handy way to select if needed a lot.
    EAGLE CAD handles this problem by using a different highlight color when it is ambiguous which element you want to select. RMB will cycle through the list of possibilities (change what is highlighted), and LMB will confirm the selection.
    I would very much like to be able to see measurement on the screen also (like dimension in sketch mode) and create a named view with visible dimensions.

Any thoughts?
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see the merit in the notion of a "named view with visible dimensions", but I'm not sure I would want there to be two different ways of achieving this same result, so I would personally like to see this capability integrated seamlessly with drawings.
    edited June 2015
    I don't actually like drawings since I rarely need 'standard views'.. For me it would be enough to have few specific views with dimensions and annotation.

And if you think of assembly documentation/directions where you might need to add some dimensions to separate some specific direction of part or so. Just adding visible dimension would be far more handy than creating standard drawing and section view with detail view to reach the needed position and show it so that anybody can understand what is it about.
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad: I wasn't  arguing that the capability should necessarily require the production of a drawing, but that (if possible and practicable) the 'front end' user interface should either be the same, or have the same look and feel, regardless of whether the resulting view was required for a drawing, or just for a named view.

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    3dcad said:
    I would very much like to be able to see measurement on the screen also (like dimension in sketch mode) and create a named view with visible dimensions.

Any thoughts?
    If you right click on a sketch/part and choose 'Show dimensions', we try to show underlying sketch dimensions that help build the part.  Is this similar to what you are hoping for?

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • 3dexter3dexter Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    Also I love to see on the screen dimensions.
    Already opened a ticket about it in the past and has also been discussed several times in the forum!

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/5347/#Comment_5347

And one of the most used tools, we expect improvements ... is also one of the few tools that do not like the Onshape!

@jakeramsley Yes, I'm familiar with 'Show dimension' - but if you need dimensions from multiple sketches it falls short.. I would like to see a robust measurement tool with visible dimension and include these dimensions to named views.
    I'm thinking webstore images to show product dimensions, assembly documentation, marketing material etc. where drawings are too 'technical'.
    //rami