Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

revolute mates

robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 89 PRO
Mates and assemblies question please!

Is it possible to limit the revolute mate by anything other than numerical input on the angle? i.e. limit to a plane angle (in the model) ? or better still, limit between hitting this object, and hitting that object?

Also, If I have 2 hinges? when I start to add a 2nd revolute mate to the other hinge, it is not so good. sometimes it locks it, especially if I put limits on one of the revolute mates? Other questions in the forum seem to suggest using the revolute on only one, and locking the position of the other to the moving part with other kinds of mate. Is this the best work flow?

Thanks so much 

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    If you edit your revolutie mate you will see a checkbox call limits

From there you can set min/max values 

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    If you linear pattern to position the second hinge, it will move along with the first - in this instance, that is probably the best way.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 89 PRO
    @john_mcclary Yep. I saw this. But this is exactly my question. The limits are difficult to get exactly, and sometimes they change with configuration. Is it possible to set the max and min limits based on other geometry? like limiting between this plane, and this plane, those planes themselves dependent on a configuration. 
    Or better still, limiting it between part interference? i.e. its limited when this part hits that part??

Also, Thanks @NeilCooke  - I think this makes sense to me. 

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    yea you can suppress mates in configurations instead of modifying a limit

limits are for when you want to be able to drag and move parts to see the part move through the whole length

suppressing mates between configs will make the part snap to each position.
  • robert_stilesrobert_stiles Member Posts: 89 PRO
    ok, sounds interesting. Thankyou @john_mcclary for the lead. I shall investigate. If you know any good tutorials on this method out there, please let me know ??