Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Editing Logic: Equal Lengths

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
I've set definition.myLength2 to equal definition.myLength1 with editing logic like this:
export function editTest(context is Context, id is Id, oldDefinition is map, definition is map, isCreating is boolean) returns map
{
    definition.myLength2 = definition.myLength1;

return definition;
}
It works until I manually set myLength2 to something else, then it stops changing. If I manually make it equal myLength1 again it will keep up with it and match. Can someone explain why?

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Best Answers

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    If you want them to always match, you can start by comparing values of definition vs oldDefinition. Depending on which input was edited, you could then update the other one to match.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Evan_Reese

You could try using a copyParameter (std | manipulator.fs), which is supposed to copy the value, including configurations and everything, like what happens in the variable feature (std | variable.fs). The variable feature copies the value to another parameter so that its formatting of the value in the feature title is correct.

The copyParameter function is marked @internal, so there is no docs in the FS library.

If the parameters need to depend on each other in a more complex way, you should probably add UIHint.UNCONFIGURABLE to the parameters to stop the user configuring them, like what happens (annoyingly) in Onshape's hole feature.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100

Answers

Shot in the dark, but maybe it has something to do with the editing function not being able to change myLength2 while it is still active or being edited?
    If you want them to always match, you can start by comparing values of definition vs oldDefinition. Depending on which input was edited, you could then update the other one to match.
  • FdaFda Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Escriba su comentarioIt seems to me something very interesting.
    Do you think something like this could work?

<div>export function editTest(context is Context, id is Id, oldDefinition is map, definition is map, isCreating is boolean) returns map</div><div>{</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; definition.myLength_3 = definition.myLength_1 + definition.myLength_1;</div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; return definition;</div><div>}</div>

The relationship between data.
    [Volume] [density] [weight]

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
     Fda said:
    Escriba su comentarioIt seems to me something very interesting.
    Do you think something like this could work?

<div>export function editTest(context is Context, id is Id, oldDefinition is map, definition is map, isCreating is boolean) returns map</div><div>{</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; definition.myLength_3 = definition.myLength_1 + definition.myLength_1;</div><div><br></div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; return definition;</div><div>}</div>

The relationship between data.
    [Volume] [density] [weight]

You should be able to do make it calculate the relationship between some things if you have the right equations. If all you want to do is read the result then a reportFeatureInfo might be better than editing logic. If you used editing logic though, you could make it change other editable fields when one is changed. See the Spur Gear feature for an example of this. Editing "Pitch" changes the "module" too, and editing "module" also changes the "pitch".
    mahir said:
    Thanks, Mahir. This is a made-up exercise to help me understand how it works, so I guess I don't want anything specific. This was helpful. I'm doing some more complicated editing logic on an actually practical feature, but I wanted to practice some basics first.
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @Evan_Reese

You could try using a copyParameter (std | manipulator.fs), which is supposed to copy the value, including configurations and everything, like what happens in the variable feature (std | variable.fs). The variable feature copies the value to another parameter so that its formatting of the value in the feature title is correct.

The copyParameter function is marked @internal, so there is no docs in the FS library.

If the parameters need to depend on each other in a more complex way, you should probably add UIHint.UNCONFIGURABLE to the parameters to stop the user configuring them, like what happens (annoyingly) in Onshape's hole feature.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Thanks, @MBartlett21 I always learn so much when you comment on things. To make sure I understand, you'd mark them UIHint.UNCONFIGURABLE so that the values cannot be changed from outside the feature, which wouldn't invoke the editing logic, so the values might not relate to each other correctly. Is that right?