Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Back in the shed again

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
edited January 2021 in General
I'm beginning work on my Harley because I don't like her rear fender

Trying to come up with a design using detailing tape became frustrating and time consuming. I wasn't getting there

So I decided to throw it into CAD and try designing the shape virtually. It was actually faster & easier to conceptualize virtually. This seems odd that CAD would be faster to layout a design than throwing down some detailing tape, but it's true. I had better success in CAD

Since I was inside CAD, why not design a new tail lamp

This ain't just no common 12v bulb. It's a 12 watt high powered LED and I'll have to turn it down; I think it'll be too bright. The lens uses an elliptical pattern which will spread the light out horizontally making it easier to see from the sides. It should probably be IP67 so if it starts raining the lamp doesn't short out. And, with any high powered lamp these days, you have to have a good thermal strategy so the lamp doesn't melt and drip off the end of the fender. Easily done if you're an ME, basic thermal stuff.

I keep all my design notes in my shed
https://rustyshed.com/?quill=5ede3f5abd6fba042805cf13

Comments

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I won't have 3 lamps because I think it'll be way too bright. I added extra lamps to illustrate the flexibility of the lamp housing by keying in different angles. The top lamp is straight and the sides are +20° with the other -20°.

Showing 3 lamps, I'm only going to use the top lamp on my bike, the sides are just for show

Side lamp at a 20°

Top lamp is straight