Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

One surface in my model is transparent and it won't render in Salome

Malcolm_AknerMalcolm_Akner Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
Hi,
I'm working on a heat exchanger and I'm trying to import it to the 3rd party software Salome for meshing. Here's the model: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/03be2f510296a2e264886390/w/8cfbca3b7b9682dd4e53a998/e/54728fd981a1b4f5594c73d6
For smaller models everything has been working fine, but when trying to import the model I linked to Salome a strange bug occurs (image 1). The face at the end is missing and these strange artifacts show up.
image 1: Salome strange artifact and missing surface.

In Onshape, this surface is completely transparent (image 2) for some reason (translucency is not the issue, everything is shaded, I have no idea what's causing this). I've tried many different work-arounds, redrawing the shape, but every time it renders it comes out as a transparent surface and importing it to Salome produces the artifacts. What can I do here?

image 2: Onshape, buggy transparent surface.

Many thanks, and have a great weekend!
/Malcolm

Comments

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    I didn't take the time to dig deep into your model and find the trouble. I did derive it in a new parts studio and then thickened the face as a new part and then boolean it together,  to see if that would correct the issue and it looks like it does so if that helps you out you could try that. 

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    I did get to dig into your problem and found the trouble. In your revolve 2 command for the merge scope, you selected part (metal materials) that does not return a valid part (part 6) is what should be selected. This will cause some commands down stream to fail so you will need to fix those.  Why onshape acted like it was just fine instead of failing that feature I cannot say. I have noticed that when you have that many features and the parts studio respond as slow as what this one does (which it is slow I was seeing regen times of nearly 30 seconds) onshape can have some strange behavior.