Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - January 25th, 2021

Lindsay_EarlyLindsay_Early Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 16
edited February 2021 in New in Onshape

I hope everyone has had a great start to the new year. We are excited to bring you our second release this month. This release brings big improvements to the Loft feature and more. Let’s take a look!

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

LOFT IMPROVEMENTS

Loft has some big improvements to give you more control and create more predictable shapes.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/5y6tfyhg01

FILTER IN ASSEMBLY

You can filter an Assembly tree with a search at the top.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ff8chkh1u7

CONFIGURED REFERENCES

When opening a reference using the right-click option to “Open link document” or “Switch to <component name>”, the opened element changes to the same configuration as the reference.

REMOVE FROM MULTIPLE SHARES AT ONCE

You can remove yourself from the share for multiple documents at once. This is especially helpful for EDU environments where teachers may need to remove themselves from multiple student shares.

MOBILE IMPROVEMENTS

IOS RENAME EVERYWHERE

You can decide if a variable rename should update all references.

IOS CUSTOM RESOLUTION EXPORT

You can export OBJ, STL, and GLTF files with a custom resolution.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Thank you!
  • gkuhnsgkuhns Member, csevp Posts: 36 PRO
    Nice! the tree search will come in handy and the loft improvements are much appreciated.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    edited January 2021
    A lofty update ;) 

Thank you Onshape team! I will definitely be using this.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Effendi_HEffendi_H Member Posts: 19 PRO
    Thank you Onshape!
    Thanks,
    Effendi H.
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Thank you from us teachers regarding the "multiple remove from share" feature. It could save me literally thousands of clicks in a semester. 
  • ian_gardinerian_gardiner Member Posts: 3
    Assembly filter! Fantastic. :haserrors especially helpful
    Much appreciated
  • GuidoNADECGuidoNADEC Member Posts: 27 PRO
    Thanks for the filters in assembly. Great help!
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great, thank you for the assembly filter, this will be very useful!
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Colm_RevColm_Rev Member Posts: 9 PRO
    Another disappointing set of updates.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great work
    Loft improvements are awesome
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • CGCAD_Engineer1CGCAD_Engineer1 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Ooooh, can't wait to play with those Loft options :smiley:
  • DarkmannDarkmann Member Posts: 5
    God yes! I'm so happy. Loft was one of the things that irked me the most because of how inconsistently it worked. Thanks guys!
  • Ethan_Deal_Ethan_Deal_ Member Posts: 7 EDU
    I would really like to see an improvement on the wrap feature so I can wrap sketches on non cylindrical faces
  • dave_cdave_c Onshape Employees Posts: 42
    @wayne_sauder Assembly folders are in development
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @Colm_Rev what is it you’re waiting for specifically?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited January 2021
    Assembly folders are in development it sounds

Yea, probably the wrong meme, but It was most of images on google, I'm at work can't waste too much time looking at images.. :)
  • sean_demerssean_demers Member Posts: 3 PRO
    Nice stuff, could really use importing of stpz files.  Being in a rural area (slow internet upload speeds), the upload times alone can take a long time, then we have to wait for it to translate.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    The loft update is soooo good! one of my biggest frustrations with surface modeling is solved (pending further testing). Assembly filtering is also just great.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Thanks for the updates!

I'm curious if we need Assembly folders now that filters are working - Folders are kind of just a way to focus or filter a list of things (think Folders in Outlook - same as tags in Gmail). I have a feeling that getting good with filters might help with 90% of the use cases that people needed when asking about folders (make the Instance list shorter, show mates only, show fasteners only (wait is that one of the filter types?)) etc.

Happy about the lofts too.
  • Colm_RevColm_Rev Member Posts: 9 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    @Colm_Rev what is it you’re waiting for specifically?
    I appreciate here is not really the place but since you ask.
    Tools, Options   ........ To be able to set personal preferences
    Assembly folders ..... we have been waiting so long for this
    Previous view ...... Should be simple to implement.
    Multiple insertion ......... If I have 20 holes in a drawing, I have to put in 20 center marks.
    Why is "Flat Pattern" not in view orientation when inserting a view in drawings
  • nick_lumbnick_lumb Member Posts: 25 PRO
    The loft enhancements look great :smile:

Is there a way to slow down the commentary on these videos, or, could the commentary be a little slower please?
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @nick_lumb You can see the video in Youtube and change the speed
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORtT2QkO8sQ
    Youtubew
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    @Lindsay_Early also remembers that there are many users who do not speak English
    So it will be appreciated if you use simple language
    Here you can see the 1.125 improvements video in Spanish
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAANDIXc2oU
    Un saludo,

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    I viewed/listened to the video at half speed. Got a few laughs outa that! - Scotty
  • gareth_farringtongareth_farrington Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    The Loft improvement is great, I'm already using it! Saving me so much work making bridging curves!
  • pmc_pmcpmc_pmc Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    @nick_lumb Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes I get too excited :) I'll try to slow it down a little next time.
    I speed up a lot more talking vids than I slow down, and did actually have to slow some of this. :smile:
    1) that's the problem I'd rather have, so no gripe!
    2) no problem hearing; it's more tracking and recognizing which are the significant details happening on screen that I had to go back for.  e.g. "rectangular" vs "full round" was kinda subtle to catch at speed.

Lofts and assembly filtering (esp. for errors) look like big utility wins. Yay Onshape.