Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Filling in holes

wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
I fill a lot of holes on imported parts. the only tool I have found the does that is the move face. The example I included is real simple but on large parts with lots of holes that are all different sizes that can be a bit tedious, is there a better workflow? I recreate holes as I did in the example document to take advantage of the hole features in the drawings. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/631c5803ef2b2277fad7a404/w/f947c58906c01b7e8ae98fde/e/bbf0d07f6cabd08d84bf3e18

Comments

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @wayne_sauder

How about Delete Face

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    I like that, that is one tool I didn't think about trying. I'll have to play with it but it looks hopeful. Thanks, Steve. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    There are a bunch of ways to skin this cat.

When I think the number of holes may change (in this case updating the imported file)
    then I like to use a sketch on the face and just blank it out using an extrude up to face.
    (This would be if you had a bunch of stuff on the face you want to change to native features after tracing them with a sketch)

If the part is square (like in this case)
    then you can skip the sketch and just extrude one of the side faces.

But, If you just want to delete the faces or want more precision (not all holes or features on the face), then that's where delete face is very helpful.

Also, I see you were using the "create selection" tool. That is good for when you need more precision in your selection.
    In this case you shouldn't forget about the traditional window-select as Steve and I used in these examples.

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    Thanks for the tips John, I have used extrude at times and also sketch and then extrude, the main problem I have with that workflow is the fact that a lot of times I do not have 2 flat parallel faces to work with, that can produce interesting geometry. Thanks for the reminder on window select I tend to forget that one.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yea, these are some niche cases, but I find I use them pretty often on imported parts.
    Figured I would throw a few options your way so you could make a judgement call for your needs