Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Macbook Air M1 Performance on Safari 14 - Section View bug but incredible performance

travis_lundytravis_lundy Member Posts: 15 PRO
Just got a Macbook Air M1 (16 GB RAM) and was amazed with the performance vs. my dated Windows machine using the Edge browser (see below). I was disappointed to see that Section View is not available on Safari 14 which ships with Big Sur as @NeilCooke mentioned it is a Safari bug but should be fixed in 14.1. So I tried it out on a 14.1 dev version of Safari and it does appear to be fixed thankfully. Any other bugs people have noticed on their Macs with Safari we need to know about? Things going well with these new desktop systems? 

Tagged:

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    edited February 2021
    Not bad for a Mac  ;)

Guess my dated windows laptop isn't quite as dated as yours was. It would be nice if we could have more refined numbers so we know exactly how good our devices are at using Onshape.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • david_salyerdavid_salyer Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Perhaps you guys could both open a public model and do a few operations on it and report back your findings? You could come up with a benchmark that others could use to gauge the performance of their computers. I'm thinking of getting an M1 also and was wondering what the performance benefit would be.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO
    edited February 2021
    Great idea!

@alnis_smidchens do you have any ideas on what a good Onshape benchmark model could be?

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited February 2021
    @travis_lundy
    Try using chrome, I have no issues when sectioning. The M1 battery life is amazing also; I can go a couple of days between a charge.

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 517
    edited February 2021
    Keep in mind the presence of a "+" next to the numbers indicates your card is even more capable than the test is revealing.  

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/67500/#

Currently our graphics check page will scale workloads the same for all graphics cards and it has a set time on the test. This has the effect of capping all results at a certain threshold and gives the appearance that many cards are equivalent in capability, when in fact they are not. We do hint with a plus sign that cards are actually doing better than the test shows