Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Two parts each with a hole. I want each piece to revolve around a pin.

I am a teacher. We, my student and I, have two parts each with a hole.  I want each piece to revolve around a pin.(sort of like a free wheel on a toy train) I can put the pin into one hole using resolute but as soon as I try to use the same pin to fasten in any way to the other hole I get errors. I am really frustrated now - I have been struggling for days and am losing my student's interest. 

Comments

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Please make sure your document is Public and post a link to it so we can take a look at it. Please don't wait so long before asking for help as to detract from your or your student's opportunity to enjoy CAD using Onshape.  - Scotty

I created the above document based on the information you provided. Take a look. Perhaps it can help.
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @josephine_tompkins

thanks for reaching out.  You should be able to use the command 'fix' on the pin and then use a revolute mate for each of the 'wheels'  Make sure you are only 'fix' the pin or it is overconstrained
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    here is a video demo.  This is before round wheels were invented.

Note the 'axle' is inserted and do not move before hitting green check. That puts it in the original design location.  Then first thing is right click 'fix' the axle which locks it in place.  Add two revolute mates for only rotation freedom on the square 'wheels'

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options

www.accuratepattern.com