Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Embossed lettering on a vertical wall for 3D printing--chamfers and fillets don't work

tony_gtony_g Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
Per your online manual wraparound lettering works only on cylindrical surfaces.  In my case with a conic surface, I create one or more auxiliary planes close to the conic surface, create the text on it and Extrude/Remove Solid to a desired depth (the same would  work with Create or Add Solid.)  The problem is that I cannot have overhanging surfaces of the letters at an angle greater than 45 degrees from vertical.  I've tried all kinds of fillets and chamfers, but they are very sensitive to geometry and never reach to the original conic surface at an angle <45 degrees.

Is there a way to emboss such text with a triangular or trapezoidal cross-section starting at the object surface?  My particular part is at https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4c4858359bf08ffc25adaa50/w/49418311816425087e3893c4/e/4f5e366d7f43b3a9e6fb26ff

Thanks,

--Tony

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When extruding the text, you can add draft.

• tony_gtony_g Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Thank you for the generally very helpful tip--I learned something new again! 

However, in my particular situation the text cannot be drawn directly on the conic surface, so I have to draw it at auxiliary planes at best tangent to the actual conic surface, and the largest draft angle I could use at an (uneven) 0.5 mm embossing depth is still too small (<30 deg) to avoid the use of supports...

In summary, it seems to me that this general problem will continue so long as the wrapping of the text is limited to only flat and cylindrical surfaces...
    edited February 2021
    This looks like it!  Thanks again.

Now a really newb question: how do I install that Curved Text FeatureScript in my free account to use in my other documents? .I've tried searching for FeatureScript, but could not find this simplest of answers...
    Open the linked document. You must be logged in to cad.onshape.com. Then look for this icon in the title bar.

I appreciate your help--and patience!