Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Part number propagation failed

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
Why is this happening?  It happens almost every time I either fully release or submit a release.  In my notifications, I receive a notification of the status of the release and immediately after the "Part number propagation failed" notification.  The main reason this is an issue for me is because the configuration part number is not getting pushed into the main workspace when the error occurs.  The next time I create a release that would need to bump the revision of that configuration, onshape attempts to create a new part number because the part number row only exists in the original version.  I have not had much luck getting to the bottom of this problem working through support as of yet.

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Do you have the release management setting for properties to propagate across all workspaces?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Yes I have this enabled.  I recently did a test going through systematically the  three options to see exactly what effect they have in parts and assemblies when releasing a top level assemblies that contains parts and sub assemblies.  Strangely, it worked exactly as expected.  Part numbers were propagating to the main workspace when the correct option was selected.  It seems to only be happening when I am actually working on an active company project. in fact, I have successfully had part numbers propagate while doing tests on assemblies that have previously consistently failed.  When testing, I am at home using a different computer (and using chrome not edge).  It seems impossible but could this somehow be browser related?  When our company started using onshape a few months back, we did not have propagate to all workspaces selected and were using the default.  I want to point to the possibility that something is wrong with the assemblies that were created before that option was enabled but I have seen it happen on assemblies that are very newly created.  As I have stated, It only fails to propagate on assemblies.  It seems to always be working properly for parts.  This is one of those issues that is not really stopping me from completing work.  I am seeing that it is going to become a big problem in the future when changes need to be made and a previously released configuration ends up having a new part number generated instead of the revision being bumped.

PS.  The option "one workspace" seems to be exactly the same as "all workspaces".  What is the difference between the two?  Thanks for adding you input Neil.

Shawn
    Actually, I just performed a release on a part from a versioned workspace and the part number failed to propagate.  So this error seems to be with parts as well.
  • raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    Actually, I just performed a release on a part from a versioned workspace and the part number failed to propagate.  So this error seems to be with parts as well.

Could you please create a support ticket and share the document in question with support ?  Please also include approximately the time at which you tried to do this release.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @raj_Onshape @shawn_crocker and I have already been talking.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
    @raj_Onshape @lougallo  Yes this has been reported and Lou has been addressing it like a champ.  I've brought it into the forum space mainly to see if I'm a lone wolf with this issue or if others have also experienced it. Have others been experiencing it?
    Well, I'm finding it so strange that I am the only one who is seeing this issue